three: i believe you

"Refuse to surrender
Strung out until ripped apart
Who dares, dares to condemn
All for nothing"
» Mysterons, Portishead

✞︎

Rory blinked a couple of times and searched for some hint of mockery on Harry's face, but he was completely serious.

"You're not making fun of me, are you?" She frowned and wiped her tears away.

"Wha'? No!" He widened his eyes and shook his head " 'm serious. Have you been seeing things, Rory? Tell me the truth. Because those pictures you say you saw...I didn't see them, just the one of the house."

"Did you see the one of the house too?" there was surprise in Rory's voice and relief, but fear too. Harry nodded.

Harry looked towards the door and could hear voices in the distance, it was best for them to get out of there before someone came in.

"Let's talk somewhere else, follow me." Harry said and Rory nodded dumbfounded, eager to know if Harry had answers because he seemed to understand and believe her.

Tell me you didn't go in there.

The messages she had been receiving warned the same thing. What did Harry mean? Had he gone in there too? What had she gotten herself into?

They both walked down the still empty corridors, but noticed that the door of their History classroom was open and there appeared to be two maintenance men talking with the professor. Rory and Harry quickened their pace and turned to a corner before they were caught.

When she thought they were going to the schoolyard, Harry was heading to the parking lot.

"Where are we goin'?" she inquired confused.

"Somewhere else, we can't talk here."

"We're skipping class?" Rory furrowed her eyebrows and she noticed they were pulling up to the curly-haired boy's motorcycle.

"Yeah." He merely replied.

"But..."

"Rory," Harry stopped when they were in front of the bike and faced her, she had to raise her head because of the obvious height difference "This is important, more than you think, you need my help and I need yours."

Rory nodded, feeling nervous and anxious.

"Here." He handed her a helmet and Rory quickly put it on, realizing that Harry wasn't going to wear one.

"What about you?"

"Only have this one here, I'll be fine, doesn't matter."

Rory felt strange, because it was the first time in years that she was interacting and having a conversation with Harry. His voice seemed deeper than it was a while ago, but still slow.

Harry got on the bike and waited for Rory. He felt just as strange, because he thought the same as Rory, being together at this moment after so long was weird. And in a scenario he hadn't imagined at all, because now they both had the situation of that haunted house in common.