ten: witchcraft

"I cannot sleep, I cannot dream tonight
I need somebody and always
This sick strange darkness
Comes creeping on so haunting everytime"
»I miss you, Blink-182

✞︎

Rory and Harry were reading the white magic book for several minutes, trying to understand and process the amount of words, spells, symbols and images

Rory and Harry were reading the white magic book for several minutes, trying to understand and process the amount of words, spells, symbols and images. At the same time they didn't understand certain things, there were paragraphs in Latin and although Harry seemed to know some of the language, he wasn't entirely sure what it said. Rory regretted not taking the Latin classes in school but they were lucky that they lived in an age where the internet existed.

There were spells of all kinds, one more complex and strange than others, but the main pages seemed to have the basic ones that every witch should know.

"This one is in our language, it says it's a spell to find lost objects, do you want to try it?" Harry asked, both of them sitting on the floor leaning their back on the bed with the book between them.

"Okay..." Rory read the small paragraph with the spell next to an image of a circle with a star in the middle. There didn't seem to be any instructions, so she supposed she just had to recite the lines and think of the object she wanted to find.

Or so she thought.

She hoped she could do it, she was really nervous.

Rory got up from the floor and stood in the middle of Harry's room.

"Is there anything in your room that you can't find?"

"Mmm..." Harry looked around for a few seconds and then nodded remembering something he couldn't find since weeks ago "Yeah, my Stevie Wonder vinyl. It was on my shelf, now I can't find it."

"Okay..."

"Focus, that's the first thing you have to do. Focus on the purpose." Rory nodded at Harry's advice, letting out a long sigh and closing her eyes.

She thought of the Stevie Wonder vinyl, replaying it over and over in her mind. Then she began to recite the spell she had memorized seconds ago.

"Keeper of what disappears, hear me now - open your ears. Find for me what I now seek; by moon, sun, earth, fire and sea."

She opened her eyes slowly and looked around, Harry from the floor was giving a glimpse around his room too but there was no sign of anything.

"Try again, you have to be extremely focused and believe in what you are saying. Loud and clear." Encouraged Harry. Rory inwardly had doubts about all of this, but he seemed confident that she would make it, that she was indeed like her mom and grandmother.

Rory shook her hands, again closing her eyes and thinking about the vinyl, repeating the lost and found spell again.

"Keeper of what disappears, hear me now - open your ears. Find for me what I now seek; by moon, sun, earth, fire and sea."