Eighteen - Turmoil

Here's what you all were waiting for...

Mei's POV

I left Yuzu reluctantly this morning. I don't want to leave while she's still sleeping but I don't want her to wake up and see there's something bothering me either. She can always tell if something's up. I only managed to keep myself in check last night long enough until she fell asleep. I rubbed my eyes as soon as I'm in the driver's seat of my car, shaking off the sleep in them.

I start the car and I made a detour to my place. I took a shower and changed my clothes before I went to work.

I arrived in the office fairly early and Himeko's already there, sipping coffee at her cubicle. She smirks when she sees me walk over to her.

"Hey, you."

"Hey Hime," I forced a smile and leaned on one side of his cubicle.

She raises her eyebrows at me. "Oh. Trouble in paradise?"

"What?"

"Did you have a fight with Yuzu?"

I frowned. She knows everything. "No, we did not."

"Then what's wrong?"

I let out a big sigh. "Can you come over to my office later? I have to tell you something."

"Sure." Himeko rolled her chair toward her desk and wrote something on a sticky note then pasted it on the side of her desktop. I squinted and it reads, Coffee with Aihara. I roll my eyes at her.

"Really? But there are two Aiharas in this place."

Himeko smirks. "I'm sure I could figure it out."

I look down at the small bulge in her belly. "How's being pregnant?"

"A bit rough, but it's worth it," she shrugs.

"I'm sure it is."

Himeko had to quit smoking and drinking as soon as she found out she's pregnant. I know it's a big change in her lifestyle but I could see that she's happy doing it for the baby.

I talk to Himeko more before I finally go to my office. There are three articles waiting to be edited and I attended to them right away.

I bit the end of my red pen as I stare at the last article I was editing. I read it again and decided I exhausted all the mistakes in it. My attention turned to my phone which is lying on my desk. I think about calling Yuzu, asking her about her day. I throw my pen on top of the stack of papers, deciding to call her already. I dialed her number and wait, biting my lip in the process.

"Hi," she answered in the third ring.

I cleared my throat. "Hey."

"Everything alright? You left without waking me up," she asks worriedly, making me feel guiltier.

"No I just had to come in early today, I didn't see the point waking you up, I know you were tired."

"You did tire me out last night," she laughs. "Are you sure there's nothing wrong?"

"Yes, I'm sure, sorry for worrying you."

"It's fine."

"Come over tonight? I'll make you dinner to make up for it?"

"Okay, I'd like that." I know she's smiling, revealing her perfect cheekbones I'll never get tired of.

"Alright, see you later."