Twenty Seven - At The Hospital

An important announcement at the end!

Yuzu's POV

I nervously typed the hospital's name and address and sent it to Mei. I didn't expect her to react so strongly about it. I sigh heavily and felt my side hurt as I did. I was lying when I said they're just scratches. I was pretty beaten up, I admit.

I was driving to get the prints I'd taken with my SLR camera since I don't have a darkroom at home when a speeding truck crashed the car on the other lane. I swerved to the right to avoid colliding with it and my motorcycle hit a light post. The impact was so great I practically flew off my seat and landed on my right side. I wasn't properly clothed, I only had a tank and skinny jeans on and I forgot to wear my helmet, so my right arm's pretty bruised up and there's a slight pain on my ribs. I also bumped my forehead on the pavement that left a bruise and a lump. It doesn't help that my motorcycle was pretty fucked up.

They gave me painkillers but I'm still feeling pretty sore all over. I'm worried about Mei's reaction though. Dan died in a car accident four years ago today and I wouldn't be surprised if she's freaking out right now. Great Yuzu, way to go to choose the day you hit a fucking telephone post.

I lay my back against the pillow with a groan. I arranged the sheets so I wouldn't feel too exposed with the hospital gown they made me wear and wait for Mei to arrive.

It was thirty minutes later; I was picking on the abrasion on my elbow when the door opened. Mei was standing by the door, her hand on the handle, and the blood drained from her face when she saw me.

"Hi," I say nervously.

"Just fucking scratches..." she says weakly but it's hard not to notice the mocking tone. She closes the door and walks toward the bed. I bit my lip and grimaced, forgetting I busted it also. When she reached my side, her eyes were glistening.

"I'm fine," I said and retrieved my hand under the sheet to touch her. She saw the bruises there.

"No you're not, look at you!" she says shrilly and regarded my arm. Her eyes roamed my face and stopped on the bump on my forehead. A delicate hand went up and traced the sides of the bruise. "Does it hurt?" her voice changed into a more soothing sound.

"A bit," I admitted. Her hand drops to the side of my face and lightly touched my lips.

"Oh, Zuzu..." she says with that defeated voice again. She sat on the side of the bed and wiped at her eyes. "You got me worried sick."

Her lips started to quiver and little sobs escape her and I start to panic. "Hey, are you okay?" I said, tugging on her sleeve.

"Don't ask me that, I should be fucking asking you that."

"I'll be fine, you're here now."

"I can't do it Yuzu. Not again."

"What are you saying?"

"If I- If... If I lose you, it's going to be the end of me okay?"

I remember what she said, the things she had gone through when Dan died and it broke my heart. I can't let her go through that again. Especially if it's because of me. I kneeled up and moved closer to her.

"Hey, hey... look at me." She did and I wipe her tears away. "You won't lose me. Never. As long as I could help it."

"What exactly happened?"

I told her the story of the dicksplash that was driving the truck and how he didn't stop to help me.

"Motherfucker..." she said with so much venom in her voice. "Did you break any bones?"