Twenty Five - Okogi Dinner

Yuzu's POV

"You ready?"

"I was born ready." I glance at Mei from where she's sitting on the driver's seat and can't help but smile at her attitude towards all this. If she's nervous about meeting my parents, she's sure as hell really good at concealing it.

I told myself long ago that I won't care what my mother thinks about the whole deal of me being gay and whether she approves of the girls I'm with but it's not entirely true. I actually want her to like Mei because even how much shit she had put me through, she's still my mom and I'm sure Mei's the one. I don't know how I will go on without Mei at this point in my life. She rescued me from my womanizing ways and showed me how to be in a real relationship; that it's worth getting hurt sometimes because I'll be with her at the end of the day.

"Are you ready?" It's her turn to ask me.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm ready. Kiss for good luck?"

She grins and coaxed me to her. "Come here then."

I unbuckle my seatbelt and lean half my body towards her and she meets me halfway. Her lips had two conflicting effects on me. It calms me and made me giddy. I curl my fingers at the back of her neck to keep her lips on mine for a little longer. I don't care if Ume would see us, or Dad, I'm getting a proper kiss from my girlfriend now, a long much-needed kiss before I face the fire-breathing dragon that is my mother. Eventually, we broke away and I rested my forehead on hers.

"If we get through this, we can get through anything."

"Then we'll get through this baby," she says and gave me a quick kiss.

"I love you."

"I know Zu. Listen," she cups my face with both her hands. "I know you're worried, would you like me not to come with you anymore? I'll understand babe, just tell me."

"No. No, no, no," I shake my head. "It's not what I mean. I just want you to know that whatever my mom says, it won't change anything okay?"

"Duly noted Miss Okogi."

I kiss her again before we finally get out of her car. She reached for my hand when I stepped back after ringing the doorbell.

Dad opened it, thank fucking Christ. "Zuzu, there's my girl." He pulled me into a bone-crushing hug. My arms are pinned to my sides and I couldn't properly return the hug so I settle in patting his arms, the only thing I could reach.

"Hey, dad."

"I miss you, honey." He let me go and glanced at Mei. "Ah, you must be Mei."

Mei gave him a tentative smile. "Good evening sir."

"Nonsense, call me Luka. I'm Yuzu's dad." Mei offered her hand to him but he pulled her to a hug. Mei awkwardly stands still 'til he lets her go. "Come in, come in, your mom's almost done serving the table."

"Fucking disaster," I say as I slam the car door shut and settle in my seat.

"No it wasn't," Mei says calmly, starting the engine and backing away from the house.

"Yes, it was! I knew she's going to be an absolute fucking bitch." I never thought Ume was going to be any more insufferable but she proved me wrong. And I learned that lesson the hard way.

"Yuzu calm down, it's fine," Mei says, giving me a quick glance before returning her attention back to the road.

"She didn't have any fucking right say those things." I stare outside the window, not ready to properly face Mei yet, ashamed that my mother can do that to her. I know she's shocked at how Ume acted but she stood her ground all the way.