The Duel

It has been a week's time since my birth as draupadi. I spent most of it learning my way through the palace and the things that are used in dwapar yug. 

Every morning I was woken up by dasis and bathed (much to my embarassment) in a pool of saffron and milk. I tried refusing their help and all this grandeur the first few days, but they seemed to think I am angry with them. So I learned to adjust to being pampered. 

Pitashree spent most of the time with Dhrishtadyumn. He actively avoided me by any chances.

Didi was the only one who was happy with my presence. I spent most of the time talking about politics and the various wars she took part in. How anyone seemed to think woman didn't fight was beyond me. 

"Didi, can I learn to fight like you?" 

She was shocked that I wanted to learn to fight, but agreed to teach me nonetheless. 

I spent most of the time practicing in the courtyard. I am good with weapons like spear, mace, sword and axe, but I had a passion for archery. 

" Draupadi, I think its time we find a better guru for you, but I'm not sure if pitashree will agree"'

Pitashree actually seemed happy that I was learning to fight these past few month, but it was probably beacause I spent most of my time away from his eyesight.

"Didi i think we can convince him" I said with a mischiveous smile.

In Panchal court 

"Pitashree i want to learn to fight"

He laughed out loud "You and fighting ? All you can do is disappoint me"

I already expected this answer so I replied, "Then what about a fight between me and you darling son Dhrishtadyumn. If I win I get to learn under a wise guru , if I lose I will drop this idea forever."

The court of Panchal was pin drop silent after my proposal. Many were astonished, a woman dared to not only learn to fight but also spoke confidently in the Sabha.

 A Kshatriya warrior cannot back down from a challenge or he would be deemed a coward. 

"I accept this challenge, if I have my father's permission"

Pitashree looked at my twin with pride and at me with disdain. " The duel will take place tomorrow in the courtyard. Let the arrangements be made"

The crowd was overwhelming in the arena

The crowd was overwhelming in the arena. They all wanted to see their prince and princess's duel. Flags of panchal kingdom were hoisted everywhere. 

" The rules of the fight are as follows ; Blood cannot be spilled by either participant. There will be three rounds of fight with 1) Mace 2)Sword 3)Bow"

I waited with bated breath for my name to be called. The cheers for my twin were so loud that I could feel the earth shake below my legs. 

As I entered the crowd was shocked seeing my attire.

I made a few modifications to the attire Shikhandini didi gave me

I made a few modifications to the attire Shikhandini didi gave me. This way I had more freedom to move and was well protected.

" LET THE MACE FIGHT BEGIN"

My twin had more strength behind the thrust of his mace but I was more intelligent. His posture caused most of his thrust to cause energy loss which has him tired within minutes.

" Bhratha, do you need some rest before we continue?" I asked him with a smirk.

All he did was push more forcefully which I countered perfectly. Once he was tired enough I began my offence causing him to be shocked with the power and zeal with which I fought.

Oh he underestimated me a lot.

He lost his mace and fell to the ground as i stood over him. The crowd was going berserk with the cheering. I looked at Pitashree who had a slight worry in his eyes.

" Rajkumari Draupadi has won the first round of the duel" 

I saw Malini and her little friends cheering me on from the stadium. 

The next weapon, sword was easier for me. I had more practice than my twin who spent most of the time enjoying the luxuries of the palace. My technique was better and I managed to break through his sword in minutes. 

"Rajkumari Draupadi has won the second round of duel " 

As the third round was about to begin, I noticed a face in the stadium which seemed to pull me towards him. It was a Bhramin who was watching my fight with rapt attention. He looked away when he realized I caught him staring and turned to the other side. 

"I see you are distracted in between a duel sister" I heard the haugthy voice of Dhristhadyumn 

" Nahi bhratha, you probably haven't realised that the duel hasn't begun yet"

He huffed in annoyance before taking his position. 

I agree I won the first two duels mostly because my twin was bad at fighting and not mainly because of my talent. But I shined at archery. I felt like my body was one with the bow and arrows. 

Once the duel began, I realized there was something wrong with my bow. SOMEONE had messed with the string and caused it to be unbalanced so that my arrows don't reach where they are supposed to. 

They did not realize that of course I can fix it in seconds. I used a protective arrow to shield me as I fixed the bow and began fighting

I had my brother pinned to the wall before he could even realize what was going on. 

I looked back to the stadium looking for the bhramin but he was nowhere to be found.