Chapter 8

After school Delilah was walking home with a friend she made that day

After school Delilah was walking home with a friend she made that day. Her name was violet and she lived in the block over from Delilah's house, just a short walk from the school. It didn't take long for them to cross paths, talking about various things and laughing together.

Delilah and violet approached the beautiful and playful neighborhood not to long after meeting, holding their backpacks by The straps on their shoulders. Delilah's eyes were gazing at the sidewalk, watching as her sneakers walked across the pavement.

"Who's that?"

Delilah snapped her head up towards violets direction before looking to the spot Violet had motioned towards. The spot was Harry's house and Harry , like always, was reading his book outside. He was wearing a grey hoodie and jeans and Delilah wondered why he would be wearing that in such hot weather.

" that's Harry, he's my neighbor." Delilah said, noticing violets wide eyes and creeped out facial expression as soon as she heard the name. Delilah furrowed her eyebrows before looking back at Harry who by this point had noticed them. He sent a small smirk towards Delilah. She looked beautiful even sweating from the sun. Delilah blushed from Harry's actions so much so that he did it again.

Violet's eyes shifted between the two of them watching this interaction. Obviously her new friend and Harry had already been introduced. Her body swayed slightly before she tugged on Delilah's arm, dragging her away from Harry's house. Violet could feel Harry staring daggers into her back.

"Why are you in such a hurry vi?" Delilah asked.

Once the girls have gone to a safe point to another sidewalk on the opposite side of the street violet pulled Delilah close to her, only taking a glance back at Harry's house. He was looking at them with a less harsh look, but tilting his head. His new expression looked more suspicious than anything.

" do you know who that is?"

" yeah that's Harry, he's my neighbor. We've been through this already." Delilah laughed. Violets stomach dropped. She really has no clue. Violet prayed that Delilah would say no to her next set of questions.

" Delilah that's Harry, as in harry styles. He was incarcerated for years as a child because.." violet got closer to Delilah's face, which was laced with concern at this point, as she looked around making sure to lower her voice. " he murdered two people. One was a 16-year-old girl, around your age,"

Delilah couldn't explain the feeling she felt now. Harry was a murderer? And why hadn't he told her this? Her whole heart ached at the confession of her friend she'd only known for about an hour. If Harry did those things, why was he so gentle towards her? This couldn't be true. Not in Delilah's eyes, and she began looking at Violet in a weird way.

" i'm so serious Delilah you can look it up." Violet said, glancing back at Harry's house. That's a death house.

Violet remembered hearing about Harry's arrest. Violet was very young when the events occurred, but her parents wouldn't let her anywhere near that house after that. And Harry was nothing short of a teenage boy when he committed the crimes. He was corrupt even at that age.

Delilah stammered, "b-but he's so nice. When I was at his house he-"

"Wait, you were in his house!" Violet said aloud, quickly covering her mouth.

" yes yesterday I was. We drank lemonade and he helped me with my homework." Delilah fiddled with her fingers. She left out the part about him fingering her on his couch. She looked away from Delilah's shocked stare, a blush once again appearing on her cheeks.

" maybe there's a chance he changed. But from what I remember, he was a murderer." Violet said, making sure to look her blonde friend in the eyes. Hopefully she would stay away from Harry now. Violet wasn't an idiot, and she knew that if Delilah couldn't see Harry's intentions, she should at least hear it from someone else. Even if it hurts.

" I know maybe you think Harry likes you. But you really need to think about what he could possibly want from you, you're very young. He is only nice to you now. Once he has you where he wants you, it's a different story." Violet said, crossing her arms across her chest. When Delilah looked up, Violets eyes had a sadness in them. Like she was hurting, and Delilah looked down, for some reason. She didn't want to have this conversation anymore.

Violet and Delilah walked together almost in complete silence before Delilah was at her own driveway. They parted their ways and said goodbyes.
Delilah's head was down, watching the movement of the pavement as she trudged up to her front door, the conversation about Harry glued in her mind.