Chapter 10

On Saturday Delilah and Violet went to the lake together. Delilah showed Violet where to put her stuff, which was just off the bank in the grass. It was dry here so nothing could get wet.

" and the best part of this lake as there are no waves like the ocean has." Delilah said, grasping her dress fabric and pulling it over her head. Violets face went sober as she saw the dress being thrown next to Delilah's shoes. Delilah was in undergarments.

" why don't you have a bathing suit?" Violet asked. She slipped her shorts down, lifting her leg out of the shorts holes.

"I outgrew a lot of them. I have to get more, hey, maybe thats what we should do after this."

"I can't" Violet said, "I have Soccer practice."

Delilah frowned as they entered the crisp water. The water rode up to Delilah's knees as she tried to overcome the disappointment in her chest. She was enjoying hanging out with Violet, she didn't want it to end. Violet turned, facing her back towards Delilah.

Delilah noticed small bruises and marks on violets back as well as her legs. They looked old, they had already been healed as the scars were a faded red and replaced with white. A few really stood out. Delilah questioned if violets home life may not be as a good as her own. Which made Delilah's heart sink. She hated that thought, she shook her head, trying to forget about it.

Violet turned towards Delilah, her smile fading as she saw Delilah's eyes gaze down. Violet had a big scar on her stomach. It was healed like the rest, but when Delilah asked about the marks Violet clammed up. She visibly tensed at the mention of them.

"I was a stupid kid." She said, going down further into the water to try and hide her scars. She swam forward, pushing her legs up. Violets head started to hurt thinking about how she got the scars. She swallowed hard as she turned around to face Delilah.

Delilah smiled at her, not asking any more questions.

The girls swam and played in the lake for only a few minutes as the water was very cold. Fearing for hypothermia the girls got out and walked over to their stuff. Delilah's hands grasped her dress, pulling it over her head and creating stains where her undergarments were wet. The dress clung to her skin, making it very uncomfortable to walk.

"Well, I'm gonna head home. My mom won't be happy if I'm late for practice." Violet said. Delilah nodded, grabbing her shoes by the back sole so she can hold them.

"See ya," Delilah waved goodbye.

Despite the beautiful afternoon, she felt a pit in her stomach. As much as Delilah was warming up to her new friendship she also felt lied to. Violets scars were so prominent and there was so many. Delilah chewed on her lips as she walked, feeling like Violet saying she was stupid as a kid was just an excuse. She could only pray for her friend that her home life was what she said it was.

When Delilah arrived home, she was dripping wet from the edges and sleeves of her dress. Her mother and father we're in the upstairs bedroom folding clothes and putting them into suitcases. They were happy, talking amongst themselves.

Delilah stopped in her tracks in the hallway, wondering where her parents were going.

"Sweetie, your father and I got a great offer in Canada. Your fathers boss offered a position that's gonna pay us a lot more." Her mother said, putting a shirt into the suitcase. Canada? Job offer?

"But we just moved! I don't want to pack up all my stuff all over again" Delilah whined.

"You won't have to sweetheart," her father started, he zipped up his suitcase and put it on the floor. He looked at his wife who then looked at Delilah, who was staring at the both of them as she dripped lake water onto the freshly steamed carpets.

"We got someone to watch you. He's very nice and we think you'll like him a lot." Her mother said. It's a he?

"Oh...who is it?" Delilah's curiosity peaked, setting her shoes down.

"It's Harry, our next door neighbor."