Chapter 22

Aaron drove Emily to her apartment and without her having to invite him in he entered. "Emily-"

"No." She shook her head. She had no idea what he wanted to say and didn't even want to find out. All she needed was silence, she wasn't even sure she wanted Aaron there. "Just don't."

"Ok." Aaron nodded. He was unsure himself of what he should do and how he could help. It wasn't just finding Samantha that Emily had to process at that time, it was also those ten years spent with her father in ways no children ever should. "I'll run you a bath."

Emily opened her mouth to protest, but she stopped before she managed to even think of a word to say. She just nodded and went into her bedroom followed by Sergio. Aaron sighed as he watched her go. "Oh Emily." He was worried and felt helpless.

Aaron went into the bathroom and started her the bath. He did everything he thought she might need, he even lit up candles instead of turning on the light and he poured for her a glass of wine. Then he went into her bedroom, he knocked and heard her mumble something so he went in. "Em, the bath is ready for you."

"Aaron." She turned to her other side and he could see her. She had been crying and it was expected. Emily patted the bed on the spot next to her and he got on it. Aaron wrapped his arms around her and Emily buried her head into his chest. Sergio went in between them and cuddled there too.

Emily chuckled when Aaron started petting Sergio as he was rubbing circles on her own back. "What are you laughing at?" Aaron asked as a joke and Emily slightly shook her head.

"I wouldn't have taken you as a cuddling with a cat type of man."  Emily said simply and Aaron puffed. "You must admit you don't really give off this energy."

"What energy do I give off then?" Aaron asked trying to keep the conversation going in the direction Emily wanted it to go. Even if it were for only a few minutes, he wanted her to feel good.

"The one of a good friend's, a good father's, a good man's, a good boyfriend." Emily looked up at him and when Aaron felt her move he looked down right into her eyes. "I've never told anyone I loved them. Not someone I was in a relationship with."

"I did take it incredibly seriously, you know that, right?" Aaron asked her because he was afraid he might have made her think that her words didn't mean to him as much as she expected. "I love you Emily."

"I know Aaron." Emily rested her head on his chest again. "I do know."

They laid down like that for almost an hour when Emily remembered he prepared a bath for her. "The bath, why didn't you say anything?"

"Because you were so relaxed. Aren't you tired?" If he were honest Aaron thought she had fallen asleep there just like Sergio but apparently she didn't.

"A bit, but I won't be able to sleep tonight." Emily explained and Aaron nodded.

"Then I should probably either go and run you another hot bath because this one if cold now or blow the candles." Aaron said because his mind was making up all sorts of scenarios where the apartment would catch on fire because of those candles.

"You lit candles for me?" Emily looked up at him in awe. She couldn't believe someone had done that for her.

"It's not a big deal Emily." Aaron explained without wanting to sound offensive in any way. But he felt rather sorry that a few candles had that effect on Emily because it meant that no one ever really treated her the way she should be treated. "But I kind of need to know if you want to take that bath because those candles will give me nightmares."

"I'd rather eat something." Emily said after a bit of thinking. She didn't want to make Aaron feel bad for not taking that bath but it was the last thing she wanted to do. "Aren't you tired?"

"No." Aaron slightly shook his head. He was a bit tired but he was used to managing on little sleep. "I'll go blow the candles, bring the wine and we could make something to eat."

"Woah, wine, I love the idea already." Emily smiled at him as he stood up. Aaron let out a chuckle and walked out of the room.

Emily changed her clothes quickly and wiped off her make up. Then she went into the kitchen where she found Aaron making some sandwiches. "The best I can do with what you have."

"Fair enough." Emily laughed. She usually ordered takeout, she wasn't friends with cooking. "Thanks for staying."

"No need to thank me love."