Chapter 33

They did it all based exactly on what Emily had told them. The whole team was going to go there in different ways, undercover and just be around in case Emily needed backup and she was planned on heading there a bit later in her car. However, little did they know that the location where Emily was headed was not the one where they were already. 

"I'm a fucking idiot." Emily said to herself as she took a right then two lefts. After that she was far away from where her team was and just five minutes away from where she was supposed to meet Ian Doyle.

Then there she was, in a stupid park, on a stupid street, a street that she barely remembered existed. Everything was quiet, not many cars were around and the park was almost empty. Emily had no clue if she should have felt more nervous or relieved about that, but instead of thinking too much about it she got out of her car and went to sit on the bench where she was instructed to sit. 

Only thirty seconds later, not more or less, Ian sat down to Emily's left. "Missed me Emily? Or should I say Lauren?"

"What do you want Doyle?" Emily asked without turning to look at him and that bothered Ian.

"Look at me Emily." Ian turned his body a little and so did Emily in order to look at him. "You want to arrest me now, you've always wanted it, that's fine. But I need to know some things."

"What things?" Emily had a slight idea about what he wanted, but she was afraid of answering those questions and requests. 

"Declan, where is he?" 

"I don't know." Emily lied and Ian knew she was lying, he knew her better than she thought he did, he remembered her better than she remembered him. 

"You're lying, I don't like liars Emily and you know how I get the truth out of people." Ian said in all seriousness, anger could be heard in his voice. "I don't want to get the truth out of you that way. Unlike you, us, it meant something to me."

"Why do you want Declan?" Emily decided to ignore his last remark because that was the part of him that back then she loved. She loved his honesty, she loved him when he was human, she loved him when he loved her because he made her feel loved in his very criminal way, but she was loved. However, she was also loved now by someone who was fair and honest. But in her mind and in her heart everything was a mix-up. 

"Because he's my fucking kid, not yours, he's mine!" Ian raised his voice and Emily closed her eyes for one brief second. It wasn't that she was scared, she just felt the need to close her eyes. 

"I don't know where he is." Emily repeated. She wasn't going to reveal to Ian the location of his son, she wanted to protect Declan. 

"Then you better find out because I'm not letting you off the hook Emily." Ian said as he was pulling out his phone. Then he started showing her pictures of her team at the other location. "Which one's first?"

"Don't Ian." Emily shook her head.

"Now I'm 'Ian'." A wicked smile appeared on his face. "I won't kill them, just a warning shot, I'll be nice. You can pick who gets it and where."

"Me, I get the shot." Emily said without hesitation. "I am part of my team, I get the shot."

"Pick another-"

"No, I'm the one who's gonna get shot." Emily interrupted Ian then she waited for his reply. 

"I love you Emily, but I'm still gonna do it." Ian said without hesitation and Emily was left speechless for a few moments. That was the last thing she expected to hear, even though that deep down she knew he truly loved her.

"I get it." She wasn't lying. In a wrong and twisted way she got it, she understood him. Then she saw him make a gesture with his hand and within the next few seconds Emily felt a sharp pain in her arm. She covered her left arm with her right hand immediately and let out a muffled scream. 

Ian pulled Emily closer to him and she allowed him to do that. She allowed Ian to hug her as she was trying to regulate her breathing and get used with the pain. "I'm sorry." He whispered in her ear then he pulled away. He took a handkerchief out of his pocket and pressed it on Emily's gunshot wound.

"So am I." Emily whispered with Ian's hand still on her arm.

"I won't give up." He said convincingly, but with sadness in his eyes. That man, a criminal, had tears in his eyes. "You betrayed me and I want back all that I've lost."

"That's not how it works Ian, that's not-"

"Then I'll make it be this way."

~ ~ ~

I had to make up for the lost time. I'll keep on writing and I'll update as soon as I finish each chapter. I apologise for the wait and thank to those who keep on reading this story. ❤️❤️❤️

~ ~ ~