Chapter Four: Tri Note

A Star's Descent

By evolution-500

Disclaimer: House of the Dead and Resident Evil are properties belonging to SEGA and Capcom respectively. I do not own any of these characters.

Chapter Four: Tri Note

Several minutes had passed since the dogs attacked. While Forest was staring out into the dark woods, avidly scanning for any sign of activity with his rifle, Rebecca sat on the armrest of a nearby chair, replaying that horrific memory in her mind, trying to find some logical explanation.

What on earth happened to them?

"Officer Chambers?"

Star's voice, soft like a whisper, startled the girl from her thoughts. Looking up, her eyes met up with his.

"Yes?"

The albino hesitated.

"Is now a bad time to make inquiries?" he asked politely.

Her brows furrowed.

"What do you want?" she asked suspiciously.

"You had mentioned earlier that your team is looking for someone," Star spoke.

Rebecca blinked. Three seconds of delving, her heart stopped.

"Billy Coen," she murmured aloud.

"What about him?" Forest grumbled, causing the albino to tilt his head over in his direction.

"Who is he?"

Rebecca paled.

"He's a dangerous criminal. A convict that murdered twenty-three people," she said weakly, not bothering to look at either of her companions.

How could she have been so stupid? To forget the man not only once but twice was unforgivable. She was a S.T.A.R.S. member, for God's sake! Rebecca mentally kicked herself for her foolish behavior.

"I see," she heard Star utter quietly. "And this man, this Billy Coen, what did he look like again?"

Rebecca hesitated, lifting her eyes up to the albino.

The hell? He heard her address Coen himself.

'What is he up to?' she wondered.

"Five foot-six, brown hair. Why do you want to know?" Forest spoke up, suspicious.

"Curiosity, mostly," Star replied, "though I should warn you both to take caution. The man you're looking for is onboard."

The red-clad albino gestured with his head over to the doors from where Coen appeared from.

"He's hiding in there."

Rebecca stared with confusion.

'Is he partners with Coen?' she wondered.

Rebecca sighed.

'No,' she told herself. It was obvious from the brief encounter that they had together with the convict that it was their first actual meeting. Plus, partners wouldn't sell each other out.

'Unless it's a trap.' 

She thought about it, but then dismissed the idea. Her mind worked furiously, trying to come up with alternatives. Various possible answers were drawn up, but many of them were shot down due to logic.

Rebecca watched as Forest regarded the red-clad enigma.

"Why didn't you mention this before?" he snapped.