Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Walk

A Star's Descent: Book Two: Star Fall

By evolution-500

Cover by NaiveWriter (aka Multifreak99 on Deviantart)

Disclaimer: House of the Dead and Resident Evil are properties belonging to SEGA and Capcom respectively. I do not own any of these characters.

Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Walk

July 24th, 1998

Arklay Mountains

Rebecca Chambers wiped the sweat off her bandaged forehead, her body and feet aching, the latter begging for rest as she marched through the dark wood with her sole companion. Combined with the weight of the backpack on her shoulders, she felt like she could collapse at any moment. Looking to her hooded companion, the Bravo medic regarded the red-shrouded albino with wonder.

'He must be suffocating underneath that thing,' she thought.

The albino paused and looked at her curiously.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"Aren't you hot underneath that trench coat?" she queried.

He shrugged. "A little," he answered.

"So why keep wearing it?"

"So I can avoid sunburn," he replied.

Rebecca nodded understandingly. "Is it hot where you're from?"

He looked at her. "Louisiana's one of the four hottest states. Usually I have to stay inside so I can cool down."

Star slipped and crashed down with a grunt onto the ground, dropping his suitcases.

"Star!" She cried out in alarm as she hurried to his side to help him back onto his feet. "Are you okay?"

The albino dusted himself.

"I'm fine," he replied. "Just lost my footing."

Rebecca looked down to his knee-high boots.

"I can't say I'm surprised," she said. "You really shouldn't be wearing those, especially when the grass is still wet."

"In my defense, I hadn't anticipated that I'd be hiking through the mountains," Star said wearily as he picked his suitcases back up.

The medic shrugged. "Touché."

The albino looked at her concernedly.

"How does your head feel?" he asked. "Does it hurt?"

Rebecca shook her head. 

"No," she replied. "I'm alright. Just tired."

"If you want, I can carry you," Star suggested.

She nodded. "Thank you for the offer, but I think I'll be okay for now. If I feel like fainting or think I'm going to faint again, though, I'll let you know straight away, alright?"

He nodded back. "Okay."

The two resumed onward, their eyes ahead.

"By the way," Star spoke up, "that was a neat trick you pulled back there. Creating your own makeshift flamethrower with a First Aid spray."

Rebecca chuckled. "Yeah, I'm a real Linda Hamilton," she smiled. "I was lucky it didn't explode in my hand."

"Perhaps your Irish heritage has blessed you with luck, along with your fighting spirit and singing," Star suggested.