Chapter Fourteen: Exploration

A Star's Descent

By evolution-500

Disclaimer: House of the Dead and Resident Evil are properties belonging to SEGA and Capcom respectively. I do not own any of these characters.

NOTE: HUGE thanks to NaiveWriter (aka Multifreak on Deviantart) for creating a real kick-ass cover. Thank you! :)

Chapter Fourteen: Exploration

Tick tick tick tick.

Rebecca winced as she tried blocking out the incessant clicks of the typewriter keys. Adjusting her position on the wall near the front doors, she looked over to Star.

"Are you almost finished?"

"Just a few more sentences," the albino replied.

Forest scowled.

"For Christ's sake, what are you writing?!" he demanded. "We don't have the time for an autobiography."

To Star's credit, he maintained his composure and kept on typing.

Looking over to Forest by the foot of the stairs, she watched as he paced about, stopping every now and then to check and recheck his weapon in an annoyingly repetitive manner. When he turned toward the stairs and looked upward, his body froze and stiffened.

Raising her eyes curiously to the balcony on the second floor, Rebecca squinted, but was unable to find anything out of the ordinary.

Had he seen something, perhaps someone move up there?

She opened to ask "What's wrong?", but stopped when there came a loud rip, drawing the Bravos' attention back down to the floor they were on. Turning to the source, Rebecca watched as Star tore the paper out from the typewriter.

"Finished," he called out.

"Finally!" Forest exclaimed.

"So what did you write?" Rebecca piped up.

Moving toward her, Star kneeled down and held the page out in offering. Taking it from his gloved hand, she started to read.

"It's basically a crude summation of what we were experiencing. I would have written more, but as you can see the ink ribbon hardly had enough to allow for it," the albino explained, eying her with concern, "How are you feeling?"

Rebecca gave a slight smile.

"Better. Thank you for asking," she said as she gave the page back.

"Are you able to walk?"

"I can manage," Rebecca assured.

Giving her a nod, the albino straightened himself, slipping the lush red coat and hood back on. Looking over to Forest, Rebecca stared questioningly.

"So, what now?"

"Let's start with the front doors here," he replied.

Turning to look at the ones he had been indicating, Rebecca shook her head.

"We can't, look at it."

On both sides of said-doors, a pair of knight sculptures had their swords crossed over them, effectively blocking the entrance.

"How do we get past that?" Rebecca pointed.

"It's not that complicated, rookie," Forest drawled as he moved toward the swords.

Slipping one of his gloved hands onto the other side of one of the blades, he gave a loud grunt of exertion. Turning around, he eyed Star.

"Hey Pasty, help me out here!" he demanded.