Chapter Twenty-Four: Revelations 2

A Star's Descent

By evolution-500

Disclaimer: House of the Dead and Resident Evil are properties belonging to SEGA and Capcom respectively. I do not own any of these characters.

Chapter Twenty-Four: Revelations 2

Rebecca swallowed as she surveyed their newest find. After navigating a series of corridors, the survivors found themselves wandering through a vast hallway. On the walls were various messages written in blood with messy handprints, often repeating certain phrases or images, the latter largely consisting of staring eyes.

HE WATCHES!

BEWARE THE JESTER!

RESURGAM!

PERDURABO!

ESTAI!

AB ETERNO!

AB INITIO!

ADSUM!

"What happened here?" Rebecca said as she eyed the bloodied walls and the gore-drenched floor.

"This is fucking creepy," Coen shivered as he stared back at the eyes.

Rebecca tried ignoring them, focusing her attention on the writing. "What is that?" she wondered. "What kind of writing is this?"

Star's eyes squinted. "Latin," he said. "It's Latin. One of the phrases is in Greek, though."

"What do they say?" Coen asked.

"Resurgam. 'I shall rise again.' Perdurabo. 'I will endure to the end.' Estai. Greek for 'I will be.' Ab eterno. 'From the eternal.' Ab initio. 'From the beginning.' Adsum-"

He froze.

"What?" Rebecca said nervously.

Star swallowed. "...'I am here.'"

The survivors looked around nervously.

"Let's get the fuck out of here. Right. Fucking. Now," Coen whispered.

The survivors hurriedly and quietly left, troubled by what they saw.

* * * * *

It was the sound of music that drew them.

Rebecca listened as the song echoed. Following the sound, the survivors halted as a gunshot rang out, followed by a thud. The three of them were deathly still as the song continued to play, waiting for some indication of a hidden enemy, be it some masked Umbrella enforcer or a zombie. When nothing came, the survivors hesitantly continued forward. It was then that Rebecca heard the lyrics being sung, followed by a ghostly chorus oohing in the background.

"'When you wish upon a star,

Makes no difference who you are.

Anything your heart desires

Will come to you.

If your heart is in your dream,

No request is too extreme.

When you wish upon a star

As dreamers do.'"

Star's eyes were veiled in shadow as it played. Entering a room to their left, the survivors found a body of a researcher lying against a wall with a bleeding hole in his head, holding in one hand a photograph of his family and in the other a still-smoking handgun, his brains spattered against the wall behind him. Beside him was a portable radio, the chorus' ethereal voices continuing on from the speakers.