--chapter four--printer problems

I sit down at my computer. I need to figure out how to get my new passport.

I'm so mad at myself for losing it. I mean, usually I'm really good at keeping track of my stuff, but instead I lost my most important thing in a foreign country. And that would be my way to get back into my country.

I find the website with the documents when I get an incoming call from Clay. I roll my eyes before answering.

"Hello?" I say.

"Hey, how's it going?" he asks.

"Fine, I guess," I shrug. Other than our conversation in the kitchen, there's been no interaction between us at all.

"Just fine?" Clay sounds surprised, "Is he being rude?"

"No, he's being nice, Clay," i roll my eyes at how quickly he jumped to conclusions, "We just haven't had time to talk is all." I scroll through the documents, scanning what I need to know.

"Well, you should get to know him," Clay insists, "He's a really great guy."

"I can tell he is," I say absent mindedly, "Did you know it takes six weeks to get a passport? That's ridiculous. I'm going to have to rent a flat for only a month. And it's London, so they're going to be pricey."

"Do you need help paying for it?" Clay offers immediately.

"No," I say, "I don't need your handouts. Thank you though."

"Just tell me if you need anything," I can picture him shrugging as he says that.

"Yeah, yeah sure."

"What are you doind? You don't seem very focused on our very important conversation," Clay asks.

"I'm trying to figure out the documents for the passport. I just need to print them." I scroll through the page. "Do you think George has a printer I could borrow?"

"Probably," Clay says, "You can just ask."

"Yeah, I'll do that in a little bit." I change tabs on my computer to start looking at apartments. "I can hear him talking, so I think he's working."

"You could probably ask him a question still," Clay says, then changes his mind, "Actually, you probably want to make sure he's not in a recording or doesn't have a camera on him."

"What?" I pause my London flat browsing for a moment, "Why in the world would he have a camera on him?"

"Umm," Clay pauses for a second, "Sometimes we do video calls, and they're recorded and stored for ideas."

I furrow my brows but drop the subject. I don't really care right now.

"You guys seem to have such a weird job," is all I say.

"I guess you could say that," Clay chuckles.

'These flats are so expensive," I complain, "And they all require at least a six month lease. I can't be here for six months. My sister is about to have a baby in two months. I have to be home by then."

"You will be, don't worry," Clay assures me, "And if you-"

"Don't finish that sentence," I warn, knowing he's going to offer me money.

I'm not poor. I work as a freelance photographer, so money really depends on the sales. I could afford this trip though, before losing my passport blew up in my face.

"This is stressing me out," I say, closing the tab. I click on the one with the documents. I need to fill those out and mail them sooner rather than later.

"You can stay with George until you figure it out," Clay reminds me.

"Yeah, but I don't want to get in his way, you know?" I say, "Like I don't want to be here more than a week if possible."