--chapter thirty-- see you soon

George and I jog all the way back to the flat. George hands me the keys, and I fumble with the lock.

The door is swung open by Tommy. I walk in fast. I can see Clay's bag by the front door.

"In here!" Wilbur calls out.

I follow the voice to my room. My breath hitches. I won't ever come back here, will I? Not after George and I just broke up.

I push it off. I push all my feelings towards George and the break up away. I can't deal with that right now. I have to make it to America to be there for Cora. I made a promise eight and a half months ago. I can't miss this moment for her. I have to be there, so I need to push external feelings away for the time being. We can deal with those later.

Wilbur and Dream are throwing my things into bags. I don't have much, so it won't take long if there's no organization. I also had already started packing. We'll be gone in the next five minutes.

"Is this all?" Clay looks around my room. It looks just like it did when I first got here.

"I think so," I pick up a book I bought at a bookstore off the side table and hand it to him. He shoves into one of my two bags.

"Ready then?" he asks.

I nod. Wilbur grabs my bags and walks them out. Clay grabs his own bag. We look around the apartment, checking for anything we forgot.

"I'm driving you to the airport," Jack says as he walks out of the door, taking bags from Will.

I take a deep breath and turn to Wilbur and Tommy. I avoid eye contact with George, afraid of breaking even after just a millisecond.

"I'll miss you guys," I say with a smile, "Meeting you guys was... amazing. I feel like the past month and a half was just a fever dream. I can't even explain it. Thank you."

They both smile at me.

"We'll visit you when we visit Dream, don't you worry." Wilbur assures me.

"Yeah," Tommy agrees, "We'll just hitch a ride with Gogy."

My stomach tightens. I know he was just trying to lighten the mood.

"Yeah," I say quietly, "Well, goodbye boys."

"See you soon," Wilbur waves, "Send pictures of the baby!"

"I will," I nod.

I don't look at George or say anything specific to him. I can't say goodbye. Not now.

I turn to Clay. "Alright, let's go."

Clay pauses for a second. He looks up at one of the three boys behind me. I don't have to guess which one.

He opens the door for me to walk through.

Jack closes the back of his car once Clay puts his bags in the trunk. Jack heads to the passenger seat of the car. Clay and I both stare at him for a second.

"What are you doing?" Clay asks, "We can't drive your car."

"Of course not," Jack scoffs, "That's why I'm getting in the drivers seat."

Clay and I both say a quiet 'oh' together. That's slightly embarrassing.

"Did you think I was going to make you drive? You stupid Americans having to be different." Jack laughs. "Get in the car, idiots."

We follow his instruction. I get into the back seat and Clay in the passenger.

"You know," Jack says once we shut the door, "I could expect that from Clay, but y/n? You've lived here for a while. You should know."