--chapter twenty three-- passport

My heart drops to the floor as I stare at the emblem on the booklet.

I never really imagined when this day would come. I secretly hoped it would never come.

My passport has arrived. I could technically go home now. A moment I've been dreading.

I don't want to leave London. I love the city. I don't want to leave this flat with all these memories. I've met so many people. I want to be able to talk to them when I please. I don't want to leave all this behind.

I can hear George saying 'lets go' at a game. I laugh a little. He tries to be quiet but just gets caught up in the moment.

My smile fades. Leaving London means leaving George. I love spending time with him. I love being with him. We've seen each other every single day for the past six weeks. What if something changes when we're long distance?

What if our relationship only works because we're so close every day? What if it becomes hard to be together when we're so far? What if instead of knocking on the other door it becomes a fight just to get a text message?

I don't want to have to fight for a message. I want to be able to sit down with him and talk things out. I don't want to be able to hide behind a screen when something is wrong.

My breath starts to hitch a little.

What if this relationship and this trip has just been a little fantasy I've been able to escape to? Does real life start again once I move back to Florida?

No, I've been doing work here. It hasn't been a complete escape from reality.

I don't want to move away from George. I want to be able to hear him laughing and gaming through the walls as he tries to be quiet. I want to be bothered when Tommy comes over and begs me to be in a vlog. I want all of that and more. I want the life I've been living.

But that's not possible when my life was originally in Florida.

I have to see my sister and parents. I have to get back to my childhood dog. I have an apartment and a roommate. I have Clay and Nick and all my friends. I can't just leave all of that behind. The whole point of this trip to London was for a vacation not a life.

I put my head in my hands. I don't want to leave, but I know I can't stay.

I'm the same person in London and still the same person in Florida. Nothing's changed right? Nothing will change if I don't change... right?

I chew the inside of my lip. I can hear George laughing again.

A memory of a conversation with George's mother flashes through my mind.

My brow furrows. "What do you mean? He knows I'll go back to the states eventually." I hand her the mug.

"He's a guy, y/n." she laughs. "They don't get it unless it's right in front of them."

I shrug. "We still have a little bit. I don't think it would be too hard."

I hope so at least. I bite the inside of my cheek as I think. George doesn't think I'll stay in London because of him, does he?

"I just want to prepare you," she smiles as she hears the front door open again. "I don't want you guys to break up over a misunderstanding."

I don't want us to break up. I don't want us to be on two different pages, and it lead to our ultimate downfall. I don't want us to fall at all. I want to stay with him.

I have to talk to him. George's mom said it best. I don't want to break up over a misunderstanding. I have to talk to him to avoid that.

What am I going to say to him? How do you tell your boyfriend/roommate that you need to go home but don't want to leave? How do you tell your boyfriend that you want to stay together?

I remember Dream bringing up George moving to Florida eventually. George didn't seem completely against the idea. He wanted to get all the paperwork so he could stay to live there when he comes. I'm not sure he's even gotten around to applying for it yet. Maybe he could move to Florida though.

That's a lot to ask of someone, y/n.

You can't just ask someone to move continents so you can be together. That's too much. We haven't been together for that long anyways.

But we feel so right. George and I work so well together. We are able to joke around but also show affection. We have such a perfect balance and harmony together. I don't want to ruin that by being long distance.

It's not like there's any other choice than being long distance, though.

I can't stay in London, and I can't ask George to move to Florida.

There's no other option. We have to be long distance. Well, there is one other option...

I shake the thought from my head. I can't think like that. I have to be positive. George and I are going to be fine. George and I are going to continue being happy. We'll figure out the visits and phone calls and all those things as we go. It'll all work out.

We're not going to break up. I won't let that happen.

I know I have to go for my sister's due date, so my leaving is going to have to happen no matter what. We're just going to have to cross that bridge when we get there.

It'll all be okay eventually.

--author's note--

<33

word count: 759