Chapter 7: Operation Zanzibar

Note: This is rose. Kai has its own Discord server! Well, it actually shares it with the canon Nihonkoku Shoukan Discord server but I digress! Link: https://discord.gg/p7NJppEjza

As of May 5, 2022, this chapter has been revised

・・・

Cent. Calendar 19/05/1639, Prime Minister's residence, Tokyo, Japan, 11:00

Exactly one month after their transfer to Asherah, the Japan Ground Self Defense Force have begun landing in Qua-Toyne, stamping out any lingering hopes for a peaceful resolution to the Lourian crisis. As the logistical elements of the 2nd Division began setting up key infrastructure, including an airfield and port facilities in Myhark, prime minister Takamori Hideaki convened his cabinet once more after the SDF brass had informed him that plans for a swift end to the crisis, should it escalate, have been drawn up. Entering the room and dismissing the rest of the ministers from bowing, he took his seat. Also present in the room was General Hinoki Yousuke, chief of staff of the JGSDF.

"I believe we are all looking forward to the plans you've drafted, which I personally thank you and the rest of the SDF for coming up with in such short notice."

Takamori opened with a remark to the chief of staff, Joint Staff Koji Yuuichi, who was standing on the other side of the table and ready to report their plans.

"Thank you, prime minister. We have consulted the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and our Qua-Toynian counterparts on the status quo of Louria's political landscape to ensure that this plan will have its intended results."

Getting the hand gesture from the prime minister to begin, the admiral had his aides distribute documents to all the ministers in the room before continuing to speak.

"Taking into account Japan's limited resources available for diversion to military operations, we have decided on the implementation of this plan of action which we have dubbed: Operation Zanzibar."

The lights in the room darkened and the shutters were closed as the projector at the other end of the table lit up, projecting an empty slide on the white, featureless wall. Then, the words "Operation Zanzibar" in all caps flashed in the middle of the slide. As Koji opened his mouth to begin presenting the plans in detail, the others present in the room sank into their comfortable, leather chairs in anticipation of the heavy topics they were about to hear.

Cent. Calendar 04/06/1639, Gim, Qua-Toyne, 14:00

Two weeks after the 2nd Division's logistical units landed in Qua-Toyne, the Myhark airfield was completed, along with a temporary pier in the port that allowed for roll-on/roll-off disembarkation by the following GSDF elements. The airfield had then begun receiving JASDF C-130H transport planes from which more GSDF elements disembarked. Since then, the Japanese forces had completed their deployment in Gim, the border town that was rapidly becoming the frontline, and began cooperating with the Qua-Toynian soldiers garrisoned there.

Princess Llanfair, wishing to better understand the Japanese way of fighting, sent Myhark Defense Knights commander Ine as her personal observer to the town of Gim. Arriving on horseback after a long, hurried journey throughout the Qua-Toynian countryside, she finally arrived before the aged, stone walls of the border town. As her horse trotted along the dry dirt road, she looked up at the arch that formed Myhark's east gate, its stone construction riddled with dirt and moss and its iron gates rusting from age.

Doesn't really compare to Myhark...

Inwardly commenting on the "countryside" and "rustic" feel of the town through its walls and gates as she looked at them, she was then caught by surprise when her horse suddenly stopped. The cause: an elven warrior holding his long pike readied at her and her horse. Judging from the well-maintained state of his armor and weapons, as well as his garments and boots, he was a regular of the Qua-Toynian professional force.