Chapter 32: Battle of Menda Point Part 3

NOTE: Yeah, we were gone for six months. Sorry about that. With how busy I am, I don't think I could stick to a regular schedule with Kai anymore, but I'm free right now so I'll try to get out as many chapters as I can. This was supposed to be one chapter, but it's gotten long, so it was split into two (further split into three). 

Discord: https://discord.gg/wEp44XuaT3

・・・

9:33, the oceans ~28km west of Menda Point

Large formations of puffy clouds stretch across the sky; their uneven distribution allows for gaps for the mid-morning sun to shine its rays through in what could only be described as a show of bright heavenly grace shining through the darkness. But the shadows cast by these cloud formations were not the only gloom that persists, nor were they the ones that actually made a difference.

Underneath the intermittent cloud cover sailed the warships of Task Force Selma, a Royal Altaran Navy battle formation headed east and destined for the Parpaldian-held islands of Menda Point. Lookouts aboard every ship took refuge in the shade offered by the clouds as if to find solace and a sense of camaraderie in their gloominess.

"Spot the Parpaldian ogres yet?!"

The cry of an officer rang across the upper deck of the flagship Andras Kaymakk, prompting lookouts on the deck to respond.

"Negative, sir!"

The officer, himself wearing a darkened expression on his face, dejectedly ran back to the bridge. There, he found Vice Admiral Iskann and his staff having a heated discussion. He was not the least bit curious as to what they were talking about, and he was not going to find out soon; as soon as he appeared on the bridge, the vice admiral and his staff set aside their discussion and turned to face him.

"Vice admiral, sir! The enemy squadron is still nowhere to be found!"

He reported to the vice admiral, who promptly dismissed him with a flick of the wrist.

Iskann turned to face his staff, who were either wearing expressions of worry or dejection—the different stages of grief in action, he thought to himself.

There was no blaming them, for he himself wore an uncertain look over his eyes. It had been more than 20 minutes since the enemy wyvern squadron that was shadowing them from out of anti-air range disappeared out of view; since then, they've been steadily making their way to Menda Point without incident. But despite the apparent absence of enemy forces and their mission proceeding as planned, they were not without their anxiety. Something just didn't feel right.

Meanwhile, his staff officers resumed their discussion.

"The Parpaldians should already know that we're here and, if they're as smart as we give them credit for, know that we are making our way to Menda Point."

"Exactly, which is why we should still be under the assumption that they've readied for us a response! That was part of our plan from the start, anyway!"

"But squadron Daigu nor the wyvern corps informed us about any response force; the only obstacles we have in our way are the half-destroyed ships of the Parpaldian squadron we engaged yesterday and the garrison at Kaskiy. On top of that, the two enemy squadrons we've confirmed are nowhere to be seen—hell, the one shadowing us has left for good!"

Iskann's temper was about to shoot through the roof, but he found it in himself to keep it contained and add to the discussion.

"We cannot discard the possibility the Parpaldians have prepared for our arrival. We are just too big of a target to ignore."