Chapter 5

As we got comfortable, Luke asked me something that he hadn't asked me in years.

"Where do you think mom and dad are right now?"

"Somewhere in the world, fighting crime and forgetting that they have children." I said like it was nothing.

I looked over at my brother and saw the tears welling up in his eyes. I pulled him into a hug, forgetting how easily he breaks down. I heard him sob into my shoulder.

"Why did they leave us on our own? Why did they abandon us? We are their children, their responsibility," he sniffled. By this point I was trying not to cry.

"I know. It sucks that they are terrible parents. They deserve to rot in whatever prison cell they are in at this very moment." I said.

I rocked Luke back and forth until his breathing was back to normal.

"Are you OK?" I asked.

"Yeah I'm fine. I'll be fine." He said looking at me with a smile I knew all too well and wiping away the rest of his tears. He wasn't OK.

As I opened my eyes the next morning, last night's events came back. I looked at the clock to see that it was 5:30 A.M. I had a good 2 hours until breakfast.

I looked beside me to see my twin sleeping with one hand over my waist protectively and one behind his head. He looked pretty strange when he slept.

He even looked younger with no worries present in his features. He always had to be closer to the door so he could 'protect me from the 'dangers of the night'. I knew it was because he didn't want me to get up in the middle of the night, for some strange reason. He always had a fear that I would get up in the middle of the night and leave him.

I sighed as I looked out the window to see the sun peeking over the horizon. It looked absolutely stunning. As I turned back towards Luke I saw that he was starting to wake up. He opened his eyes and blinked a couple times to regain his vision.

"Morning, Sleepy Head." I said playfully running my hands through his bed head.

He grumbled some inaudible words. He looked out the window and then back at me.

"What time is it?" He asked with his morning voice.

"A little past 5:30," I told him.

We just laid there staring at each other when heard talking from the other side of the room. We looked to see Rebecca mumbling in her sleep,

"Damn you Harris."

Luke and I looked at each other with grins like the chesire cat.

"I guess we have to get up now," he said starting to get up.

"We have a good 2 hours until breakfast," I told him with a smirk.

"I was going to the infirmary to check in on Jackson," He said.

I knew then and there that he felt guilty. He hated to see people in pain, ironic since he is a spy.

"OK, I'll see you at breakfast," I said giving him a small smile.

Luke got up and pulled on a sweatshirt and sweatpants and walked towards the infirmary.

I laid there and became lost in my thoughts again. I knew he still thought the Jackson incident was his fault. He always felt empathy, even on missions.

I never let him see when we beat the answers out of people. The first time he was in the room with me, he broke down in tears.

He had yelled, "Stop it, stop it! Can't you see you're hurting them." Then he had ran out of the room.

I had later found him in a supply closet, crouched in a corner and still shedding tears. He had looked up and stared at my face. For the first time in our lives, I saw fear in his eyes when he looked at me; his own sister.

This all happened when we were 15, just two years ago. My brother never enjoyed beating people to a pulp. This is why he always insists on staying out in the car with the computers and hacking into the system.

He claims that this makes him feel like he is helping the team without hurting anyone who may be innocent.

I got up when I heard yelling in the foyer. It sounded like Luke was yelling at someone. His voice kept cracking as he yelled.

"Get out," he yelled, "leave and don't come back."

I got up to see who he was yelling at. I looked down the stairs to see two people that I haven't seen in years, my parents. I stood there in shock as they were trying to calm Luke down.

"Well, look what the wind blew in. I thought this place was horrible parent proof." I said as I descended the stairs.

"Hello, Alex. We were just coming by to visit." My mother told me with a sweet smile.

"Since when do you care about us? Why would you choose now to try to be a good mother?" I said.

I then turned to look at my father. He looked like he had aged slightly.

"Since when do you acknowledge that you have children?" I yelled at him with tears shining in my eyes.

"Why did you abandon us? Did you regret that decision? Did you know that the year you left us here, Luke cried himself to sleep and begged to move into my room?"

"He was diagnosed with asthma and ADHD and I have to go with him to get the medication, do you realize how much of our lives that you have missed? We are ranked 2 and 4 in the class. There was a ceremony and Luke insisted on reserving two seats in case you decided to show up. It was a 2 hour ceremony and the chairs stayed empty the entire time."

"Rebecca's parents offer to let us come on holiday with them but we always say that you are on your way to pick us up, but we know the truth; you don't care about us." I finished.

I was breathing in ragged breaths as tears fell freely down my face. Luke was standing there in shock of the words that had tumbled freely out of my mouth.

My father looked at me with a look of anger behind his grey eyes. My mother looked at me with hurt in her eyes. I knew that I should hear what they had to say but I honestly didn't care.

"I hope you rot in the cell that you deserve,"I said with anger dripping from each word,

"I hope you never see daylight again. Scum like you don't deserve to live freely." I said.

I turned around on my heel and saw Rebecca standing at the top of the stairs along with the headmistress and Jackson, who was accompanied by his nurse.

"Come on Luke." I said grabbing his wrist.

He was letting tears stream down his face as a sob rocked through his body. I walked down the hall and pulled him into the nearest room, which happened to be the supply closet.

I closed the door and switched on the light. I pulled him into my chest and he continued to cry. Luke was a good three inches taller than me and he was bending down and letting out loud sobs as I tried to console him.

"Why are they even here?" He sobbed.

By now I silently letting the tears fall. My shirt was drenched from the amount of tears Luke was shedding. His legs gave out from beneath him and I fell to the ground with him.

We stayed in the closet for the next 15 minutes. I noticed that Luke's breathing had slowed down and that he had cried himself to sleep, just like when we first came to the school.

Every now and then he would whimper slightly. I layed his head on my lap and listened to what was happening around me. I heard the buzzing of the light bulb above my head.

I faintly heard people asking where we were and I heard others getting ready for the day that was starting. I woke Luke up and practically dragged him upstairs to my room.