Chapter 8

We walked past others and ended up sitting in the corner behind the breakfast buffet. I caught a glimpse of my parents sitting with the faculty and Luke with Rebecca at another table.

We sat shoulder to shoulder until Jackson got back up to get 2 muffins and cup of coffee and hot chocolate.

"I remember that you like hot chocolate in the morning. No marshmallows and two packs of the mix. No water just warm milk." He said like he was an expert.

"Why thank you good sir. I also remember that you like 3 spoonfuls of sugar in your coffee. No cream." I said as I ate my banana nut muffin.

He ate blueberry muffin and we talked. Not awkward small talk but we talked like we did when were dating.

"You still wear the necklace." He said pointing to the charm around my neck.

"Yeah, it is sort of a good luck charm. After you gave it to me, I aced 3 exams and became number 2 in the class." I said with a blush rising to my cheeks.

"Stop that. Whenever you blush I think of the way you crinkle your nose whenever I do this," He said.

And with that he reached over and tapped my nose with his pointer finger. And what do you know, I crinkled my nose. He laughed at me because in the process I had managed to get my hair stuck in my necklace.

"Shut up and help me." I said.

I put down my muffin and hot chocolate and moved my hair to one side. He attempted to get my hair out and in the process he pulled really hard. I couldn't help the scream of pain that left my mouth soon after.

"Ow!" I screeched in pain.

Half of the dining hall looked over at us and started to whisper. Even the headmistress decided to turn our way. I knew my face was red and I looked to see Jackson just as red.

Conversation began to erupt around the dining hall as everyone got on with what they were doing. I saw Luke and his gaze stayed on us longer than all of the others.

The lights went out and the screams of teenage girls and yells of boys filled the hall. Jackson grabbed my hand and held on for dear life.

I wasn't going to let go, ever. I wanted to tell him that I still liked him but I didn't know how he would react, and now was definitely not the time.

I was knocked over by some of the girls running past me. I fell flat on my butt. I feel the trampling feet of the girls and boys as they ran past me and partially over me.

"Alex! Alex! Are you okay?" I heard Luke yell as he ran to me with a flashlight in his hand.

He had developed a habit of keeping a flashlight on his person. Jackson was kneeling on the floor next to me. He had managed to get out of the line of feet.

The windows blew in and Jackson and Luke both covered me to protect me from the glass raining down. I hear the sounds of dart guns in the hall. I can hear the darts slicing through the air. The shots ring out and I hear girls and boys yelling out as the darts find them.

I scream out in pain as a dart becomes lodged in my leg. I let tears tears run down my face and I felt Jackson pick me up.

The needle in my leg has numbed me. I couldn't feel my legs, there must be a neurotoxin in the dart.

Luke pulled the dart out of my leg and now it was no longer numb, my leg was on fire. I screamed out in agony. Jackson was running to the infirmary with me in his arms and Luke in tow.

"CODE RED! CODE RED!" The speaker system screeched.

My ears were throbbing, and that's when a thought came to me. This must be for that stupid file, Project X.

Jackson was hit in the head and so was Luke. The attacker came at me. Jackson and Luke fell to the floor with a loud 'thump'.

I tumbled out of Jackson's arms and was helpless as the attackers came at me. One of the attackers grabbed my arms and another attacker covered my mouth with a gag and dragged me away.

The gag had some sort of substance on it, my vision was swimming in and out.

During my last moments of consciousness I saw a van pull up and the attackers attempted to put me in the back.

They were dragging me, I could feel my clothes snagging on the ground as they kept trying to put me in the van.

I was kicking, and punching, but my attacks were useless. I watched as my brother and the boy I still loved faded out of view.

I realized; I had been targeted.

-----
Sorry for the cliffhanger.

What do you think will happen?

Do you like the idea of Alex and Jackson?

I would love to hear your feedback.