Chapter 9

I opened my eyes to see darkness. It was so dark I thought my eyes were still closed. I squeezed them shut then opened them again.

I felt like the ground under me was moving. I must still be in the van they used to take me from the academy.

Luke must be going crazy. And Jackson, Jackson. He must be losing his mind.

The van came to a stop and I heard the car doors open then close. I heard voices so I closed my eyes and tried not to move. The voices were muffled but I could tell what they were saying.

"We just have to hold her until they give us the file," a muffled male voice said.

"Was it smart to take her only a mile from the school? We could've taken her further." Another voice questioned.

By now I had wiggled my hands from the rope that my hands were tied in, taken off the gag and I was about to get out through the back door.

As I opened the door the 2 men saw me. They ran at me and I felt like the world slowed down.

The first man punched me straight in the face and threw my balance off. He then kicked me in my stomach and I let out a grunt feeling the impact.

There was definitely going to be a bruise. I swept my foot and kicked his ankle and he fell. My body was burning.

The second man was running full speed at me. He was about 6 feet tall and 198 pounds. I would have to fight a little harder with him.

I felt all the fight leave me when I saw what was in his hand.

He had a syringe in his hand and stuck it in my arm. It felt like fire was running through my veins. He tried to take me down but I kicked him where the sun doesn't shine.

He crumpled to the ground. I had blood running down my face from the first punch and I am pretty sure that I had some broken ribs.

I took off running, with a slight limp, and I didn't look back.

I knew exactly where I was. I was 2 blocks from the school and I saw it approaching. My hair was matted from sweat and blood, and my clothes were ripped from when they tried to keep me down.

My legs were aching and were beginning to feel like jelly. I heard the people yelling trying to find me. I saw the grounds being searched and I saw Luke at the head of a group.

"Alex! Alex!"

Jackson spotted me first and was sprinting my way. Not long after Luke was in tow. My legs gave out and I was on my hands and knees gasping for breath. Luke pulled me into his arms. I yelled out.

"My ribs, my arm," I could barely get the words out. Tears ran freely down my face.

My arm was burning and my ribs were aching. I knew that there was no way I was going to forget this experience; it was forever embedded in my memory.

Luke picked me up and started to walk. I let out a whimper as every step sent waves of pain through my body. The nurse inspected my injuries.

Apparently I had two broken ribs and the dart had targeted my nerves and for the next few hours I wouldn't be able to feel my feet. Jackson decided to carry me to my room while Luke went to find Rebecca and tell her I was safe.

"Why am I so weak?" I asked Jackson looking up at him. Jackson decided to carry me to my room.

I felt like I was helpless.

"Why am I so weak?" I repeated sniffling, trying not to cry.

"You are not weak. You are strong, and I love that about you." Jackson said without missing a beat.

I looked up at him to see he had dark rings under his eyes. He looked like he had lost sleep looking for me.

"How long was I gone?" I asked.

"About two and a half days." He told me.

It had only felt like hours. They hadn't interrogated me, tortured me, even asked me any questions. They had just kept me in the back of that stupid van.

"Could I have some water?" I asked him. My voice was hoarse.

"Sure." He said with a smile.

We stopped by the dining hall to pick up some bottles of water. When we finally reached my room I grabbed a pair of sweatpants and a sweatshirt then sat on my bed.

"What's wrong?" Jackson asked, coming to sit next to me.

"I feel like they wanted something from me. They just chose the wrong people to execute the plan," my voice was breaking as I kept talking,

"They could have killed me."

The last words came out as a whisper. Jackson tensed up beside me.

I regretted the words right after I said them. Jackson looked me in the eyes and said,

"If they had killed you, I would go out of my mind. I would hunt down the killer and curse the day they took you away from me."

I just sat there looking at him. His hair had moved so it was covering one of his brown eyes.

"I should go and let you change," He said getting up.

"Wait! Will you stay?" I asked, grabbing his hand.

"Of course," He said with a small smile. The smile that melted my heart.