Chapter 6

I got dressed while Luke stared out of the window with a dazed look on his face. He would sniffle and take deep rhythmic breaths.

He started to breathe faster until he was hyperventilating. He turned to look at me with wide eyes, grabbing his chest. This was a sign that he couldn't breath. He was definitely having an asthma attack. At this point I didn't care that i was just in jeans and a bra, I had to find his inhaler.

I searched through the entire room before I realized where it was. By now he was gasping for breath. I quickly pulled on a shirt of his and ran to his room. I kicked the door open and saw his inhaler lying on his bedside table. I ran back to my room to see his eyes glassy with tears.

He was coughing, desperately trying to fill his lungs with the air they craved. I pressed his inhaler to his mouth and he breathed in the medication. His breathing returned to normal after a few minutes.

I laid my head on his chest and breathed a sigh of relief. We stayed like this until there was a knocking at the door.

I didn't want to move, but I knew that I would have to eventually. I pushed myself up and noticed that Luke had fallen back asleep. I wasn't going to force him to go to class and I wasn't planning on going to class either.

I hadn't gone to a class in 4 days and I knew the work was piling up. I wiped his sweaty forehead; I think he was coming down with something.

I went to answer the door but stopped when I heard the voices. It sounded like Jackson was talking to my parents. I opened the door and sure enough there they were all standing around like they were about to give an intervention.

All the people I despised the most at my door.

"What do you want?" I asked my parents,

"I would love to have another lovely chat but I have to take care of my brother, your son." I said with venom dripping from each word.

I then turned to Jackson, who took a few steps back. I guess he could sense the anger radiating off of me.

"You, I want you to leave me alone until I'm ready to take you around to all of your classes. You know what, I have a better idea. How about the parent scum hangs out with my scum of an ex boyfriend."

I had never really gotten over him but I had to show defiance. If I showed him any sympathy he would most likely walk all over me.

My parents and Jackson both looked shocked. I think I even saw a hint of hurt in Jackson's eyes.

With those words I pushed past them to get to the kitchen. I needed to relieve my stress.

Without a word to the staff I went into the back storage closet. I reached on the top shelf and got out 3 bottles of beer; one for the 3 people I despised. The staff tried to conceal the alcohol behind stacks of cookbooks.

As I drank I made a toast to 'the scum of my life'. I tipped the contents back into my mouth and I felt it burn down my throat like acid.

Luke doesn't know I drink and nobody else knows. Rebecca found out but she didn't try to stop me.

By now my vision was blurry and my mind was buzzing. I was a fairly small person so anything over a bottle of beer made me hazy.

I walked, no stumbled, out of the door and into the hallway. It was empty since everyone was in class, or so I thought.

"Alex, what are you doing down here?"

I turned around to see Jackson walking towards me rubbing the back of his neck. He looked like he had fallen asleep in the time I had left them in the hallway.

"Hey there Jackson what's up?" I asked slurring my words together.

I tripped over my feet as I walked towards him. He held me up as I almost fell over. I giggled as I felt my legs wobble.

"I feel funny and light, like a cloud." I said laughing like an idiot.

I was starting to feel the beer making its way up my throat. Feeling the effects of my actions, I started to regret letting Jackson see me this way.

"Whoa. Your breath reeks. Are you okay?" He asked with a worried look.

"No, I'm Alex," I said giggling even more, "And you're my boyfriend." I said.

My mind was cloudy as I remembered all the good times that Jackson and I had together.

"You're drunk." He stated.

He looked at me as if he was trying to look through the haze I was in. I could see his eyes shine in the light of the lights above us in the hallway.

Jackson looked at me with a strange look. His hair did this thing where it stuck up at odd angles and I had to suppress the urge to smooth it down, like I used to.

Instead I did something completely different.

I don't know what came over me as I pulled him by his collar and kissed him. The world felt like it was spinning around me.

I pulled back to see Jackson with a shocked expression. He even had a rising blush on his cheeks. I honestly think that Jackson still had feelings for me.