The military

{ Cole's POV }
The range of emotions I felt getting up that morning were nothing like how I felt the day before. The anger definitely beat the sadness. It was 11:30 and I was sitting in my kitchen eating breakfast. My bag was next to the door and my dad was gone. Not even here to say goodbye, maybe he didn't want to hear me protest.

I wasn't really in a good mood either since I was venting to Amber all night. My eyes felt sticky my mind felt blank and I hated the world. Pretty normal morning for a teenager.

There was a pretty loud knock on the door. I got up from where I had been sitting and opened it up. There stood a tall older man with short cut grey hair and a military suit.

" you the kid?" If I said no would he just leave?

" I'm being silly, of course you are! You look exactly like Anderson" Shit. Well there goes that plan.

CO:" come on in I guess,"

" so what's you name son?" He had a deep voice, the kind Santa has when he chuckles. Kinda creepy if you ask me.

" it's Cole"

" well nice to meet you Cole, I'm your fathers friend Luke"

CO: " nice to meet you" I say in the most unenthusiastic voice I could possibly muster.

" is your father home?"

CO: " he stepped out"

" that troublemaker, couldn't even say hi to his old commander, it's a shame would've loved to tell him the good news"

CO: " oh yeah? What good news?"

" I've been appointed Chief, which means someone else is going to take over my position"

From what I know, a commander is a very high up person. He oversees the new recruits trainings etc. He has a say when something major happens and has a lot of ties. His word is never taken lightly and he's always being asked for his opinion. Over him are a multitude of people, including the chiefs. They are incredibly important people in charge of everything and all the decisions being made or approved of.

" haven't met the new guy yet, but heard he's pretty good, I hope he doesn't mess you around to much though"

CO: " so do I" I nervously grabbed my bags and stepped out of my house closing the door on my way out. Heading down my steps I realized the emergency key was gone. Dad must have taken it with him when he left. Just another way he ensures I never come back. Swiftly walking closer to the tall man he guides me into his black jeep.

We stayed quietly occasionally making conversation every know and then. It was pretty far into the woods. We had been on the road for at least 4 hours before arriving in front of this large arch way. It was dark out and there was no one in sight. As We walked further down it was organized and filled with restrictions. There were a few guards when we entered the gated area but not many more that I could see. There were long dark green buildings lined up next to each other to the right. And to the left was a few larger light blue buildings. I assumed they were where the commanders and soldiers ate and held important meetings. Further as we walked I noticed a big white tent, wasn't sure what it was for, but it was swarmed by army people. So nothing I needed to think about. The training courses were behind the green buildings surrounding the entire compound. Beyond that just trees and field. Nothing more, nothing less. Everything was decided by stone paths, and lighten up by hanging lights on wood posts. They looked like they had been here for over a while, everything did.

We had inherently gotten there a lot later than everyone else. So the introductions and games were over, everyone was already in there beds by the time I got there. I'm a weird way I was glad, I didn't feel like socializing. We walked down by the white tent and Luke headed in. I could hear the faint chuckling I had become accustomed to. Even in those short 4 hours, I could see why my father considered him such a dear friend, and why he trusted me with him.

He walked out with another tall man beside him. They were both laughing amongst themselves until they reached me. The stranger nodded his head at me then at Luke then disappeared into the white tent once again. I stood standing there awkwardly, Awaiting what he had to say. Lucky for me, there was an over amount of people so my room was just a small extra across from the commanders. The generals and commanders rooms weren't in better condition then the rest, just bigger and had more privacy in comparison.

Lu: " good for you, guess your already lucky"

We made our way towards a black building approaching the door. As we entered I soon came to realize that the straight shape I once thought it had was actually an L. My room and the commanders were the only two rooms after the turn. Mine facing his of course and leaving a pretty far away distance from the rest.

LU: " lucky for us, we weren't the only late ones, the new commander was apparently a no show because of his flight in"

CO: " will we be meeting him tomorrow?"

Lu: "you will, I'm heading back to Michigan for my promotion"

CO: "Why Michigan ?"

LU: " it's closer to my wife and kids"

CO: " then why'd you come all the way out here for me?"

LU: " your pops asked me too. And I knew both of you could use it. You know, it's really not so bad out here. Maybe you'll make a lifetimes worth of friendship. I certainly did. It may seem hard now but trust me, things will come easier" he smiled sadly and started walking off before abruptly stopping again. He turned heading back in my direction.

LU: " here's the keys, I forgot to give it to you, and make sure to hand this on the side of your door. Your name and rank are on it so the rest of the generals know your not sneaking in to pull a prank on them. Night kiddo"

CO: " goodbye Luke" we exchanged understanding glances before I headed in my room. Locking the door immediately. I took in the sight of the room. There was a bed, a desk, a window, a trash and a dresser. Everything seemed normal at first until I noticed how the closet was actually a small bathroom. There wasn't a shower, but there was a toilet and sink. Which was good enough. There wasn't much else but it was pretty good compared to what was in the other rooms apparently.

I set my stuff down taking it all in. Everything felt foreign. Like I was a freshman all over again. I let myself fall asleep, despite the uncomfortable bed and blankets.

{ In another part of the camp - Luke's POV }

Driving down the entrance road I cross paths with another man in an expensive looking car. We made eye contact only for a split second but.... He gave me a bad feeling. Anyone that could do that wasn't good news at all.Who was that. Suddenly a feeling of contemplation took over me. Was it a good idea to keep Cole here? Even while is father was out handling his business ?

Hey guys! Author here! Please comment below and tell me what you think of this chapter! Stay tuned for more updates. 💋