24. Buckle Up, Buttercup

The ride back to the compound was...interesting. It took forever just to get the story out, since Steve and Wanda couldn't stop interrupting, and Natasha couldn't stop complaining that I was telling it incorrectly from her position in the pilot's seat. We all eyed the box, waiting for it to break free, but it never did. I knew it was still alive by the way I could feel it shifting in its makeshift prison. When we landed back at the compound, Wanda rested her hand on my forehead as she went to make her way past me off the jet. "Come meet me in an hour?" She asked softly. I grinned at her.

"You bet." I blushed just slightly as she leaned forward, kissing me gently on the cheek.

"Can you manage to get me to medical now?" Natasha snarked behind me, and I spun in place smirking at her.

"I would be honored to help you to medical, yes." Natasha rolled her eyes.

"I take it back. I'll go myself." I laughed and followed her as she limped slightly through the doors towards the medical and research wing of the compound. Halfway to our destination, Natasha glanced at me over her shoulder. "I can get there myself, you know." I smirked at her, gesturing to the container I was still carefully clutching.

"I thought I might put this somewhere...safer," I grinned. A small smile crossed Natasha's lips.

"Probably a good idea." We resumed walking in silence but I noticed that she slowed her pace just enough to allow me to catch up so we could walk together. "This is my stop," she gestured to the medbay a few minutes later. I smiled.

"I might be able to fix that for you, you know." She smiled but shook her head.

"This is nothing, but thank you." I nodded. Stubborn as ever.

"I'll check on you later?" She smiled and nodded, opening the door in front of her.

"Have a good date, Brock."

Tony and I threw together a makeshift glass container reinforced with vibranium to keep the symbiote contained – for now. No doubt Stark and I would be seeing quite a bit of each other in the next few days, and I could tell that he was exasperated that we couldn't start now, but I had a date and you can't keep a beautiful woman waiting. I broke away to give myself enough time to shower and change before approaching Wanda's door, giving myself a final once-over before knocking.

She opened the door before I had finished my first set of knocks, and I couldn't help but smile at her. When she asked me what I had planned, I refused to give her any details except to dress casually. She looked amazing in form fitting jeans, a white blouse over tank top. She smiled up at me shyly. "Is this okay?" I nodded and smiled.

"It's perfect. You look beautiful." Wanda blushed but entwined her fingers with mine as we left the doorway and made our way towards the elevators.

"You're not so bad yourself, Parker." I smiled, pressing the button. In the elevator, Wanda settled herself in my arms, her back pressed against my chest, my hands resting lazily on her hips. "Will you tell me where you're taking me now?" I grinned and kissed the top of her head.

"Nope." She huffed in exaggeration, but I could see her reflection in the elevator doors and the smile on her face was evident. We walked hand in hand to my SUV, and Wanda giggled as I insisted upon opening her door. I climbed into the driver's seat, checking the mirrors and placing my sunglasses over my eyes, my hand resting gently on the gearshift. "Buckle up, Buttercup. We're going to go for a ride." Wanda's smile shone brighter than the setting sun in that moment, and I could feel tingles throughout my body as she rested her hand on top of mine, locking our fingers together as I shifted gears and pulled out of the parking lot.