42: Change of Plans

a/n: I'm so happy to be back. Plan on regular updates for this book through its completion. I will be focusing on one project at a time for now, as I keep getting stronger.

(Parker's POV):

There was nothing to say on the jet back. There was nothing to say when we dispersed immediately upon returning to the compound. Natasha and I headed back to my room silently, her hand slipping into mine on the elevator, our fingers squeezing each other's silently for comfort. We sat beside each other at the edge of the bed for several moments before either of us broke the silence.

"I'm so sorry." I started.

"This wasn't your fault." Natasha's voice was clipped, professional and matter-of-fact. Natasha had gone into agent-mode, which meant she meant business.

"Wasn't it?" My voice broke for a moment, Natasha immediately on her knees in front of me, cupping my face in her hands.

"Parker, no." She shook her head, her eyes welling with tears. I sighed, trying not to look at her.

"He got away from me," I shrugged. I suddenly felt a squeezing sensation from inside my chest like AV was giving me a hug from the inside.

We are sorry. I inhaled sharply at the sensation, blinking back the tears threatening to spill.

"This is going to change things, Natasha." I murmured, finally allowing myself to catch her gaze. I wanted to get lost in those eyes. It wasn't fair. We had just found each other again. She shrugged and shook her head.

"We won't let it." Her voice was smooth and gentle, meant to be reassuring. We chuckled slightly.

"When did you start being optimistic?" We asked playfully, trying to minimize the seriousness of the situation. My heart stopped for a moment when Natasha's eyes twinkled and she winked at me.

"About the time I caught you." She murmured. My fingers tangled in her hair as we both leaned forward, our lips fighting for control in a struggle for comfort. White tendrils wrapped securely around us both as we broke apart, laughing for the first time in what seemed like an eternity.

"I seem to recall being the one who did the catching, Nat," we murmured, our forehead touching hers. She scrunched her nose as she smiled.

"I seem to recall your partner doing the catching," she countered. I shrugged.

"We're a team."

Yes!

...

I skipped the pep talk from Secretary Ross. Technically I was still on the fringe of the Avengers, and not widely publicized, especially after Eddie's latest antics. I knew the gist of what was coming – or at least I had a pretty good guess. Natasha came back to the room after trading blows with the team – what was supposed to be the team – which seemed to be split down the middle. She tossed the forest-sized document on the nightstand beside me, but my focus was locked on her.

"How bad is it, Nat?" I asked as gently as possible. I did not have the patience to pretend to read the document she had plopped beside my semi-comfy position. Natasha's jaw was clenching, which was never a good sign, but it did make you want to kiss it. Now didn't seem like the time. She sighed.

"About what you'd expect," she shrugged finally. I grabbed her waist to keep her from pacing. "Oversight. Global-level."

"Fuck," you murmured. Natasha was actively chewing on her lip now.

"Staying together..."

"Don't say it, Natasha." I cut her off before she could complete the sentence. I knew what she was going to say. The Avengers were her family. Unfortunately, she was mine. "Who's agreed?"

"Tony, Rhodey, Vision. Me." I blinked up at her, and she almost looked like she was about to cry.

"Natasha?" I shook my head, frowning. "Why would you..."

"Some level of control is better than none, Parker." She sighed, gesturing to the bed beside me like she was suddenly asking permission to sit. I smirked at her and scooted over dramatically, granting her access.

"Oversight is one thing. Shifting agendas is another," I sighed, trying not to show my exasperation. It was unfathomable that she wouldn't know this.

"Steve said pretty much the same thing before he ran out of here," Natasha sighed, her hand resting on my knee. I frowned.

"Is he okay?" I asked. Natasha hesitated, weighing her answer before daring to voice it.

"I think it's Peggy," she murmured, finally. "He seemed shaken."

"Fuck. Poor Steve." Our hand found Natasha's, our fingers entwining naturally, framed by white strands that covered them both. A strange yet slightly comforting sensation. That and Daisy, who was perched between our feet, smiling up at us in a way that only pit-bulls could.

"What do you want to do, Brock?" Natasha's voice was soft, her head resting gently on your shoulder.

"I can't do it, Nat. I wish I could. But I can't agree to that kind of oversight over AV. We're not an experiment."

"Hey, I wouldn't let them do that," Natasha's arm slid around your waist and you scoffed.

"They wouldn't let you stop them, babe. It's not that simple."

"I'm going to the signings with in Vienna. I have a stop to make in London first for a friend." Natasha squeezed you as she spoke. "Sounds like you're staying here with Wanda. And Vision." Your face hit your palm at the thought.

"Fantastic," you muttered. "I'll be here in my room, wanting the earth to swallow me whole." You huffed, chagrined, when Natasha booped your nose.

"You're cute when you pout, Brock." Your eyes moved to her lips as she licked them while she smiled at you knowingly.

"You're not going to get your way just because you're hot and I want to get in your pants, Ms. Romanoff," you laughed. Natasha pretended to be offended.

"You've already done that," she chuckled. You shook your head.

"Doesn't mean I want to any less." You shrugged your shoulders, content with your honesty at this moment. Who knew when you were going to get this moment again.

You showered together before crawling into bed, your arm wrapped securely around her middle as she cuddled into you. You tried to memorize the way her hair smelled as it dried, the way her lotion radiated from her along with her body heat, making you feel like you were on fire. Your breathing in unison calmed you both and you finally allowed your eyes to close and for sleep to take you.

...

"I love you. I never stopped." You blinked up at her suddenly wide awake as your heart jump-started in your chest at the sudden confession.

"I've always loved you, Natasha," you shared here smile, noting the way that the sunlight just barely creeping into the window illuminated her face like a halo. She really was angelic.

"Try to stay out of trouble, Brock," Natasha leaned forward, planting a kiss on your forehead, cupping your cheek.

"Same to you, Ms. Romanoff," You smiled. You pulled Natasha in for a slow kiss before she backed out of your grip, watching you settle back into bed and smiling, blowing a kiss in your direction.

...

The next thing you knew your bedroom door was slamming open, and you sat bolt upright in bed.

"Parker..." You blinked in the voice's direction, finally focusing on a familiar figure.

"Wanda? Are you..."

"You need to see this. There was an explosion. In Vienna." You were out of bed, running down the hall faster than your legs alone could carry you in only your pajamas, the scent of Natasha's lotion still all over you as you made your way to the lounge so you could try to figure out what the hell was going on.