32. Come to Blows

a/n: This chapter is intense and may be triggering to sensitive readers. Please proceed with caution.

"I said go right," Wanda's voice hissed in my earpiece, and I abruptly changed course based on the witch's directions, my mind snapping back into the present from where it had been reliving the conversation that Wanda and I had in the quinjet on the way to our mission destination.

Earlier:

"Wanda, I think we should probably talk about all of this at some point...maybe after the mission?" I offered hesitantly as I sat beside her on the quinjet. She glanced up from the ground to look me in the eyes, a small smile flashing on her face.

"I'd like that," she nodded. We sat in silence for a moment before she glanced over at Natasha. "It seems like the two of you got closer while I was away." What she said wasn't a question, but it was said in a questioning manner. I laughed, probably a little too forcefully.

"Natasha and I are just friends," I murmured, stifling the residual giggle. That time had long passed. We just knew each other really well as we settled into an only-slightly-tumultuous friendship. Wanda glanced at me, her eyes moving between mine as she studied my face. She looked down again.

"I know I probably blew it, but..." I cut her off with a smile.

"We can talk about that later, too," I said softly. Wanda smiled and nodded her agreement.

"Are you nervous?" She asked, her tone of voice brightening considerably. I took a deep breath, thinking carefully.

"Not really," I shrugged. This should be a piece of cake for an old pro like Natasha." Wanda smirked and I frowned.

"Especially when you have her back," she teased. I rolled my eyes.

"Whatever you say, witch," Wanda chuckled, but couldn't hide the blush rising in her cheeks. I smirked slightly, leaning back in my seat, making no effort to move away from her, and I caught her smile as she glanced away from me."

But she doesn't like us!

I bit down the thought as we thought it, clenching my jaw. Maybe if I explained it, she'd understand. I felt a surge of anger rise in my chest, and I pushed that down too.

Other angry redhead likes us.

I frowned at that one, shaking my head. "Maybe you, buddy. Me, not so much," I murmed. I caught Natasha glancing at me over her shoulder, an amused expression on her face. She raised an eyebrow, and I shook my head. No way in hell was I repeating that one.

........

Present Time:

Natasha and I moved in unison, rounding the corner to the right and almost crashing into each other as we stumbled into the elevator. A tentacle caught her as she almost lost her footing on the slick surface, and she rolled her eyes at me playfully.

"As graceful as ever...OW," she pinched my shoulder fiercely. We were already exiting the elevator before Wanda was able to sound the alarm.

"There are three sets coming straight towards you. One directly in front, one from the side, and one from above. Natasha glanced around, her eyes identifying each target. "I'm coming in," Wanda determined we were outnumbered.

"Hold that," Natasha stopped her. "We've got this. Don't make a scene." I glanced at Black Widow out of the corner of my eye. What the hell was she planning now? She glanced at me, her eyes firm but playful. "Keep your cool." She muttered. I nodded that I understood.