36. Uneasy Truces

I was allowed to rest for a few days while things around the compound gradually died down, and the rumor mill stopped spinning like a hurricane around everybody's heads. I woke up at a perfectly respectfully 10 am on Friday morning to find an unexpected companion in my bed. I glanced down, smirking as I recognized bear. I glanced up to see a note on the nightstand, and I pushed myself into a seated position as I plucked it from its place and instantly recognized Natasha's lefty handwriting.

Party tonight to celebrate your 'recovery.' Get your beauty sleep while you can, you're being cleared for training next week.

I couldn't hold back a chuckle as I slid the note into the drawer and swung my legs over the side of the bed, flexing my muscles as I did so. Despite her complaints to the contrary, Natasha was a natural-born caregiver, and she genuinely enjoyed taking care of people. It was hardly a surprise that she insisted on bringing me my meals – largely consisting of peanut butter sandwiches, a meal she could hardly destroy – and beverages throughout the day, checking in on me regularly with her trademark sarcasm and complaints.

I slid out of bed, making my way to the bathroom, slipping into the shower as the water instantly heated to scalding, just like we liked it. I braced my hands against the wall, letting the water run down my body slowly, my fingertips lightly training the outline of the scar on my stomach. Dr. Cho wanted to use the newly rebuilt regeneration cradle, but without certainty how it would affect AV, I opted for the scar instead. I wasn't really one for bikinis anyway.

As the scalding water continued to flow over us, AV let out a satisfied hiss of pleasure. Natasha had not only been feeding me, she had also brought up a lifetime's supply of cocoa, chocolate and other AV favorite foods.

She takes good care of us.

Right on cue. I rolled my eyes. "No, buddy," I chuckled, reaching for the shampoo finally. "She just feels bad for repeatedly getting us hurt."

She likes us.

I shook my head. "An argument could be made for you, bubs, but Natasha most certainly does not like me."

"I don't what now?" I had been enjoying the hot water so much that I hadn't heard the bathroom door open, or the redhead slip into the steamy room. I was so surprised that I didn't have time to catch myself, falling over in the slippery tub and landing with a thump on the porcelain. "Are you okay in there?" I saw the glass door of the shower start to move and instantly pushed it closed.

"Do you mind?" The only sound coming from the other side the glass was a very familiar laugh.

"It's nothing I haven't seen before." She retorted. I glanced down at my naked body, noting the scar again and thinking of all the other changes my body had gone through.

"Yeah before," I grumbled. "And there are some new things." That part was practically muttered. Natasha just continued laughing on the other side of the glass. "Is there something I can help you with, Natasha?" She finally controlled her laughter enough to explain her presence in my bathroom. Where I was currently naked.

"I just wanted to see if you needed me to pick anything up for you for the party tonight. Do you need anything?" I rinsed my hair quickly, practically trying to shove the lingering soap off of my body.

"Are you going someplace that sells privacy?" I snarked, running the washcloth over my body a final time before shutting off the water. Shit. Now there was a problem. I glanced up to see a towel dandling over the shower door, which I snatched gratefully. "Thank you," I grumbled begrudgingly.

"New shirt? Tie? Shoes?" I did a mental inventory of what all I had brought with me from the house.

"I think I'm good, thank you." I sighed in relief as I heard the sound of the bathroom door opening again.