28

REYNA

After a long, quiet drive up north, we made it to a mansion almost the size of Saint's

After a long, quiet drive up north, we made it to a mansion almost the size of Saint's. Contrary to Saint's home, there were dogs running around the front yard who appeared friendly. The urge to run up to them and embrace them in my arms was tempting.

I never really had a dog before. I've always wanted pets, but time wouldn't allow that. Too much of my attention was spent hacking to ever worry about whether my dog had eaten, drank, and used the potty where it needed to. There was nothing I wanted more than to have a dog of my own someday.

The guard pulled open the door for me and helped me out of the vehicle where I waited for Saint. I could hear his footsteps approaching as he neared me. As I waited, I glanced at the dogs to see how well trained they were. At our arrival, they sat and watched us with their curious noses in the air. It amazed me how they didn't bother to make a single move.

Crickets began to chirp, alerting each other of their presence. The night sky gazed down upon me like a mother smiling at her sleeping newborn baby. Even the stars sparked a spotlight, allowing the warmest of yellow to cast down on the world, highlighting everything we tried so hard to hide.

If I weren't standing in front of a madman's house, I would have actually took the time to enjoy the night. Instead, my heart was racing. My palms were sweating. I was sure he could hear my heavy breaths from where he stood beside me. This man took Giovanni. He was evil and I knew it.

Saint stared at me from the corner of his eye, sighing out loud. "In chess, what skill is most important, Angel?" he asked, placing my his hand on my lower back and beginning to guide me into the house.

"Strategy," I answered without hesitation. My uncle taught me that. When we would wait long hours for downloads or transporting information, we would sit and play chess. For years, he would always beat me, but as I grew older and wiser, it was my turn for victory in every game that we played. He became far too predictable, and it made it easier to take home the trophy home every single time.

"Strategy." He nodded. "I take what I learn from chess and I apply it to how I do my job. I never go in without confidence in my strategy, and neither should you."

"How am I supposed to have confidence in my strategy when I don't have one? I don't know what your plan is by..." I paused to lower my voice. "By entering the house of someone that took Giovanni and may be working for Viktor," I whispered.

Saint stopped walking and turned to me. There was fury blazing in his eyes. There was so much fire raging within him that I had to take a few steps away from him. His chest heaved up and down and his eyes narrowed so I could no longer see the blue of his eyes.