05

R E Y N A

Days had passed so slowly

Days had passed so slowly. It felt like my every moment was simply a repeat of the previous day. Everyday, I would wake up and approach the window. My mind would run and jump like it were a part of some obstacle course full of self-pity. I would then be interrupted by a woman who's company I began to enjoy, Rosalina. In kinder words, she would tell me that I should put an end to my stubbornness and to help the men that stole me from my searchings. When I would no longer respond, she would take my empty tray, absent of food, and walk out of my room. The saddest part was the lock that echoed through the room once she left.

No one dared to bother me after that until it was time for dinner. Instead of Rosalina, it would always be Giovanni who would do his best to convince me to help. My gaze would always avert from him only to find comfort in the outdoors. He would let out a loud sigh, throw my tray of food down in front of me, and walk out of my room.

At some point, I actually began to question if I was being cruel. It shocked me how foolish I had become to think of such a thing. I never asked to be here. My request was something simple—to be left alone. If they couldn't manage to do something so small for me, why should I bother to do anything for them?

So, as Giovanni throws down my tray of dinner, I keep my eyes locked on the trees. I watch the family of birds sleep, and I wish it were me who could be that free.

"Reyna, I know you're scared of Saint," Giovanni said. I could hear him, but I pretended as if I couldn't. Quite honestly, it was shocking to hear him say anything. He would typically throw the tray down and leave angrily.

He let out a sigh. "He's back in town. Just know that he is going to be pissed to hear that you haven't agreed to our bidding."

I couldn't help myself from turning to look over at him. I just wanted to make sure he wasn't bluffing about Saint's return. My shoulders fell when I saw there was not an ounce of dishonesty.

It never occurred to me that Saint was gone. I've always wondered why the tension in the entire house seemed to be at ease. There was more color that infiltrated the landscape without the devil being there to cast its brooding mood.

"What time will he be here?" I asked, my brows coming together in deep thought.

Giovanni pulled out his phone with a frown. "He's here right now."

My spine suddenly felt as though it was being suffocated with ice. I didn't want to see Saint, and I especially didn't want to be in the wrath of his anger. Every hair on my body stood up at attention, and it was accompanied by the extra beating in my heart.