1.) Gifted Girl

Melanie

"Mommy?" A ten year old me called out, walking down the long, dark hallway. Everything was dark and fuzzy, and the house was unusually quiet. Too quiet. I felt a cold shiver against my skin, as I continued my walk down the hallway, but something was screaming at me to turn around and go back. I looked behind me, seeing nothing but darkness, which only motivated me to keep going forward. "Mommy, where are you?" My voice echoed throughout the house, all while my footsteps grew heavier.

Standing outside of my Mom's bedroom door, I knocked gently, watching as the door slowly opened by itself. My heart was racing and I felt a sense of dread washing over me. I stepped into the room, getting a whiff of something funky, which made me cover my nose.

"Mom?" I called out again. Why isn't she answering me? I flipped the light switch on, but nothing happened. Why were the lights out? I gripped my doll close to my chest, walking over to the window, and pulling back the curtains. When I turned around...that's when I saw it.

Blood.

Blood everywhere.

My young eyes gaped, looking down at the body, that laid lifelessly in a puddle of blood.

"MOMMY!" I screamed. I ran towards the door, only to be grabbed by my legs, tripping me instantly.

"Where do you think you're going, little one?" I screamed loudly, being dragged through the puddles of blood, and into a sea of darkness.

~~~

My eyes shot open as I gasped for air, quickly sitting up in my bed. I looked around my room, feeling my entire body trembling, all while trying to catch my breath.

"It was just a nightmare." I whispered to myself. "A...a realistic nightmare." Could I really call it a nightmare though? It's exactly what happened fourteen years ago, minus all the nightmarish theatrics. Taking a deep breath, I climbed out of bed and headed into the bathroom, grabbing my anxiety pills off the counter. I quickly popped two pills into mouth, taking a sip of water, glaring at myself in the mirror.

"Get yourself together." I said to my reflection. My hands were still slightly shaking and I could feel my heart beating in my chest. Yay to PTSD and anxiety, am I right? Once I calmed myself down or the pill kicked in, I tore myself away from the sink, and went to get ready for the day.

Once I was showered and dressed, I headed downstairs, hearing voices coming from the kitchen. Considering that it was just me and my grandma, I was a bit surprised that someone else was here. We usually don't make a habit and getting to know anyone, because we were literally always on the move.

"How do you like your eggs?" I heard my grandma ask, in a flirtatious voice. Who the hell was she talking to? I peeked around the corner, seeing a familiar face sitting at the kitchen table, staring at my grandma as if she were one of the most beautiful women in the world. And she was.

"Rossi? Is that you?!" I voiced, making myself known. He smiled, standing up, and embracing me in a tight hug.

"The one and only. How you doing, kid?" He asked me.

"I'm doing alright. How are you?" I sat down at the table, pouring myself some orange juice.

"Ah, I can't complain. We just finished wrapping up a case nearby and I couldn't leave without checking in on you two."

"Well we're happy to see you! It's been almost a year now, hasn't it?" My grandma asked.

"Roughly." He responded, making me laugh a little. Rossi was a close family friend, who has been there for us since day one. I met him when I was ten years old and ever since then...he's made it his life's mission to look out for me and my grandma. Sure, he and my grandma have a huge crush on one another, but since we're always moving from place to place...they never had an actual chance of being together. "But as happy as I am to see the both of you, I have to admit that I have a hidden agenda behind my quick visit."

"As always."

"We're moving again, aren't we?" I asked, sighing heavily.

"Do you like it here?" He asked me.

"Not really."

"And how would you feel about a more permanent place to call home?"

"I'd...really like that, actually." I said. I hadn't really had a permanent place to call home in forever.

"So how about you both come back to Virginia with me?" He suggested.

"Do what now?" My grandma said.

"I know it's sudden, but you've been moving around for years and I believe it's time for a fresh start. Permanently." I looked over at my grandma, who looked as if she were in deep thought, walking our breakfast over to us. "What do you say?" She glanced at me and I shrugged. I never unpacked from the last move, so I was down with it if she was.

"I don't know, David. What if this move isn't so permanent. What if we have to move again?"

"You won't." He assured her. "You've both been in hiding for far too long and it's time you both start living." He grabbed her hand, gently brushing his thumb against her knuckles.

"How do you feel about all of this?" She asked me.

"I think we should do it. I mean if anyone can keep us safe, it's Rossi. Besides...we've always talked about finding a permanent place to live and settling down, so why not? I'd like to finally stop living out of a duffle bag and at least try to live a normal life, where I'm not looking over my shoulders all the time." I said. I guess now would be the time to explain our complicated situation:

When I was ten years old, my mother was murdered by a man with a spider tattoo on his neck. I will never forget the day I came home and found her cold, lifeless body on the floor in her bedroom, and I knew exactly how she died and who killed her. Which brings me to another complicated explanation. I was born with psychic abilities. Yes...you read that correctly. I have what scientist would call a Psychometry, which means that I have the ability to obtain information about a person or an object by touch. I guess another scientific term is that I'm also a Retrocognition. Not only can I obtain information about a person by touch, but I also have the ability to supernaturally perceive past events. That's how I knew how my Mom died and who killed her. She was wearing a gold necklace, which laid next to her dead body, and when I went to pick it up...I saw everything. The argument, the fighting, and...the murder itself.

Unfortunately, the man was never caught, which is when my grandma decided to take me and hide us both under the radar. She feared that he wasn't after my mom, but that he wad after me and she wasn't wrong. My mother was just collateral damage, because she was too blinded by love to even notice that this man was a predator.

So, for the last fourteen years, it's just been me and my grandma. Moving from place to place, with the help of Rossi, who was assigned to my mother's murder case back then. He was like our own little form of witness protection and we literally owed him everything.

"Where would we even stay when we got down there?" My grandma asked.

"With me, of course. I have more than enough room for the both of you, and I will help you get on your feet." He said. She looked at me and I gave her a smile, basically saying you know you want to. Stop playing! She sighed and rubbed her eyes.

"Alright fine, but you have to let us return the favor somehow. We owe you a lot, David."

"You don't owe me anything." He placed his hand on top of hers. "Neither of you do."

"So it's settled? We're moving to Virginia?" I asked.

"Yes, we're moving to Virginia!"

*(AN: Hope You Enjoyed The First Chapter! Just A Heads Up...Most Of These Cases Will Be From The Show (Which I Don't Own The Rights To The Situations That Happen In The Show, Nor Do I Have Rights To The Main Criminal Minds Casting), But They Won't Be In Any Type Of Order! I Know A Lot Of Readers Like To Correct Writers, So I'm Telling Everyone In Advance!)* 🥰❤