11.) Anthrax

You wouldn't even know that I was literally about to have sex an hour ago, because everything was so hectic at the moment. Hotch had me reading over an old case that happened in 2001, so I could somewhat understand what we were dealing with.

"I'm just not understanding how someone can go to a park, where there are young children and teenagers, and sprinkle them with death! Literally! A small bottle of death!" I exclaimed, shaking my head.

"There's a lot of sick people in the world, kid. You've seen that firsthand." Rossi said.

"Was there anything found on the scene? A bottle? Something that was used to hold the strain in?"

"Not that anyone could find, but Prentiss and Morgan are checking out the crime scene now." Hotch said. "I want you to be cautious when touching anything we find. I know you think that's why I asked you to come in, but it's not. You see things that we sometimes miss, which is why I brought you in."

"You don't need to explain, Hotch. I'm here for whatever you and the team needs." I assured him.

I stood next to the team, as they delivered the profile, of what we're calling our terroist unsub. Morgan and Prentiss believe that he plans on striking again, but with a bigger crowd of people; and that thought alone scared me. He clearly has no empathy for anyone or anything, which means that his target is anyone from an innocent baby to a sweet, elderly couple.

"We have a problem." JJ said, rushing over to where Hotch and Rossi were. "Morgan just called. Apparently Reid locked himself in a room, where he was exposed to anthrax, and the air was blasting." My heart dropped.

"What? Is he okay?" I asked.

"For now, yes, but we have to get him out of there." Hotch walked off and I followed behind him.

"You need to stay here." He said.

"What? No, I can't just sit here and do nothing!"

"This is not up for debate." He walked away, leaving me standing there.

"Melanie?" I heard JJ say, as she approached me. "I know you're scared, but Spense is going to be fine. He has to be. He took Cipro, he's got help...he's gonna be fine." I could tell she was worried also, which is understandable. I took a deep breath and nodded my head.

"I hope so." I sighed.

"He will be. Now, I could use yours and Garcia's help with something. Hopefully it'll distract us from what's going on." I highly doubt that. I thought to myself. I pulled my phone out, sending Spencer a text.

Me: Please tell me you're going to be okay.

Spencer😍: I can't say for sure, but don't worry about me.

Me: That's easier said then done...

Spencer😍: I'm going to be fine, Melanie. Focus on helping the team find the unsub.

I could feel the tears swelling up in my eyes, not even knowing how to respond. For the first time in a really long time...I was truly scared that I was going to lose someone else I care about, and I didn't know how to handle it. I tried to focus on this case, but my mind kept going back to Reid. What if those text were the last things we said to each other? Or what if I would never see him again? No...no, that was unacceptable. I got up and walked into Hotch's office, closing the door behind me. I pulled my phone out and called Spencer, hoping he would answer, but he didn't. He sent me to voicemail.

"Seriously?" I huffed, trying to calm myself down. Not even a moment later, my phone started ringing, and I quickly answered. "Oh my God, Spencer!"

"Sorry about that, I was..." He began, as he started coughing. "I was on a three way with Morgan and Garcia."

"It's fine. I just wanted to hear your voice. I know you said to not worry, but I can't not worry about you. Especially in the predicament you're in."

"Yeah, I uh...*Coughs* I can understand that." The phone went silent for a minute, as he continued to cough and clear is throat. "Listen Melanie...I need to say this, just in case...I..."

"Spencer...don't." I said. "Whatever you have to say, you can say it in person, cause this is not how this ends!"

"But what if it is?" He questioned.

"It's not!"

"Just listen...please." He started coughing again. "I've never connected with someone the way I've connected with you. You are so special to me and I want you to cherish the times we've had together, because those were some of the best times of my life." The tears were now pouring down my face, as I covered my mouth and let him continue. "I never knew the perfect woman existed, but...you do and I'm so happy that we got to spend time together. Even if that time was cut short."

"Please...stop..." I cried.

"I have to go, but Melanie...I-" He began, but was cut off by a violent fit of coughing, before the line went dead. I never removed the phone from my ear, feeling my entire body shake, as I continued to sob uncontrollably.

"Melanie?" I looked up, seeing Garcia stepping into the room and closing the door. "Oh my love, come here." She pulled me into a tight hug, which is exactly what I needed right now. "Hey...I know this is scary, but Reid is going to be fine. I refuse to believe otherwise."

"Yeah, I know, I'm just a bit stressed." I lied.

"Comes with the territory." She handed me some tissue. I thanked her, wiping my eyes and nose. "Now, no more tears until we catch this unsub and Boy Wonder is all better." I smiled a little. This is one of the reasons why I love Penelope. She always finds the light at the end of a very dark tunnel.

"Thanks Garcia."

"That's what I'm here for, lovely. Now come on. Hotch and JJ are probably looking for us." She said. I got myself together, following her out of the room, trying my best to push the conversation that Spencer and I just had into the back of my mind.

"There you two are! We just got a call from Prentiss and Rossi, and they know where the unsub is gonna strike next." JJ said. From that point on, it was like a waiting game, but in the end...Hotch and Morgan were able to catch the unsub before it was too late.

I then headed straight for the hospital, meeting up with Morgan, who was already there. He was sitting at Spencer's bedside, eating some jello, turning around when he heard me come in.

"I figured you'd be here." He smirked.

"Yeah, I just wanted to check on him." I said. I sat down next to him, grabbing a spoon, and dipping it into his jello.

"Hey, this is mine! Get your own!"

"Sharing is caring, Morgan." I dipped my spoon into his jello again, taking a small bite.

"You're eating jello?" We heard, looking up to see Spencer staring at us.

"Yeah, and it's not that great." I said. "But I'm happy to see that you're awake."

"Hmm. Hey, kid." Morgan said. "Hey, Doc! Look who's back." Linda smiled, walking into the room.

"Is there anymore jello?" Spencer asked. "Wait...what happened?"

"You're gonna be alright, kid. And we got Brown. It's over."

"How's Abby?"

"She's on the mend. So are the three others. You were right about where to look for his cure." Linda said.

"Why was Dr. Nichols making anthrax in the first place?" He asked.

"He was a brain scientist, downgraded to working on the flu." Morgan told him.

"But there was no indication that Nichols had any idea what Brown was planning." I added.

"Either way, the strain is being locked up at Fort Dedrick, with all the other strains that people don't know about." Linda said.

"Hmm, really? What else do they have locked up in there?" Morgan questioned.

"I guess that's for them to know and us to never find out." I said. Spencer reached for my hand, holding it in his, making me smile a little. Who knew that all of this would happen in a span of a day and a half? I sure didn't, but I was glad that he was going to be okay.