17.) Determination

*~ Omniscient POV ~*

The team arrived in Texas, wasting no time filling the Port Isabel Police Department in on what was going on, before getting to work to find Melanie. Naturally, they sent officers to search her old childhood home, but didn't find her or the unsub there.

"What about where he used to take his victims? That place probably holds some sentimental value to this guy." Emily questioned.

"The place was knocked down years ago." Detective Chris Meyers, who also helped with the kidnapping case all those years ago, said as he rubbed his eyes. "This doesn't make any sense. Why go after that girl, after fourteen years? Not saying I'm complaining about him not being here, putting other young kids lives in danger, but...what makes her so special?"

"Because up until they crossed paths, he had been kidnapping and murdering young girls without getting caught, and she is probably his greatest challenge." JJ said.

"Dave, can you think of anywhere else the unsub might've taken Melanie and her grandmother?" Hotch asked.

"He's in his element here, which means they could be anywhere." He said. "I was for sure he'd take her back to her childhood home, but I was wrong."

"We're going to find them, Dave." He patted his shoulder, before walking over towards Reid, who just stood there in a daze. "Reid? Is everything alright? I asked you to look for any dirt roads near Melanie's childhood home." Reid blinked his eyes, before glancing at Hotch.

"I need to tell you something." He said. Hotch looked around, pulling Reid into an empty conference room, and closing the door behind them.

"What's going on?" He asked. Reid took a deep breath, running his hands down his face.

"Melanie and I...have been seeing each other intimately, for the last few months. I know that when Strauss asked her, she told you all that we were just friends, which technically was the truth; but we...I...ended things with her because I didn't want our relationship to affect the team."

"I always had my suspicions, but...why are you telling me this now?"

"Because I have a wealth of knowledge I should be applying to this case. Behavioral patterns of violent stalkers. Tactical recovery strategies. Victim survival odds. But...right now I can't focus on anything for more than four seconds at a time, which makes me the dumbest person in the room. How can I help her, when I can't even focus?" He said, as the tears glossed over his eyes. This is exactly what he feared would happen, which is why he didn't want him and Melanie to be together, but in this moment...all he wanted was to be with her.

"Reid..." Hotch began, but was cut off by Penelope rushing into the room.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but you need to see this!" She said, in a panic. They all rushed out of the conference room, joining the rest of the team, who were all crowded around Garcia's laptop. "So while I was trying to track down Melanie's phone gps, a random link came to my computer, and when I clicked on it...I saw this." It was a live video of Melanie, who was tied to a chair, while The Spider Man taunted her.

"Oh my God." JJ murmured, covering her mouth.

"Garcia, can you track this location?" Hotch asked her.

"I tried, but he's bouncing off different satellite signals, which is making it hard for me to pinpoint a location."

"Keep trying." She nodded, typing away on her computer, while the others continued watching the disturbing video.

"Would you like to tell your team, hi?" He asked, forcing her to look towards the camera.

"What?" She questioned, furrowing her eyebrows.

"SSA Aaron Hotchner, SSA Derek Morgan, SSA David Rossi, SSA Emily Prentiss, SSA Jennifer Jareau, tech analyst Penelope Garcia, and last but certainly not least...Dr. Spencer Reid. I've been keeping tabs on them from the very first day you met them, watching you befriend them, and become apart of their team."

"They have nothing do with this!"

"You're right, mí amor, they don't. But David Rossi...he has everything to do with this! He took you away from me and now...it's my turn to take something away from him." He said.

"You already took my grandma away, what more do you want?!" She snapped, causing Rossi's heart to drop.

"No..." Penelope said, tears filling her eyes.

"What I want...is to show him that after all these years...I still won." He gripped a hammer in his hands, slamming it down on Melanie's hand, as her screams filled the room. Rossi walked away, unable to continue watching the torture, while Penelope looked away and cried. Just hearing Melanie's screams, made Spencer clench his fists together, as he watched her get her hand smashed repeatedly. When the camera shut off, Reid continued to stand there, while Morgan slammed his fist down on the desk.

"Dammit!" He snapped. "We have no leads, no idea how to find them, we have absolutely nothing!"

"We aren't giving up, we're going to find her!" Emily said, her voice low and shaky. She was trying to keep herself and everyone else motivated, but after seeing that horrific video...she wasn't so sure about anything anymore.

"I know this is hard for us, but she needs all of us to stay strong." Hotch said. "Reid...she needs you and I know you're having a hard time focusing, but you have to try." He slowly nodded his head, pulling his eyes away from Garcia's laptop, and slowly walking over towards the map.

"She's gonna be okay...she's gonna be okay." He murmured, closing his eyes tightly, pushing himself to focus.

Rossi paced back and forth outside of the precinct, trying to wrap his head around how he let any of this happen.

"Dave." Hotch spoke, stepping outside.

"How did I let this happen?" He questioned. "How did I allow two people, who mean the absolute world to me, get taken by this son of a bitch?!"

"It's not your fault."

"Isn't it? Had I just left well enough alone, they'd be safe and Marci...she...she wouldn't be..." He couldn't even bring himself to say it.

"You and I both know that no matter where they went, they were never going to be safe. He's been following them for over a decade, but he caught them slipping and finally made his move." Hotch said, trying to make him feel better. It wasn't working. "Now I'll give you a minute, but...Melanie doesn't have much time. She needs you."

"No...she needs us. All of us." He said. He was now feeling determined to find Melanie and take The Spider Man down once and for all.