21.) An Absolute Dream

*~Melanie~*

My eyes fluttered open and I immediately noticed that I was in a room with painted, pink walls, and butterflies decorated all around the room. I slowly sat up, realizing that I was in my old bedroom, and for some odd reason...I was beyond happy to be here.

"Melanie? Sweetie, it's time to wake up! Breakfast is almost ready!" I heard, which made my heart race.

"Mama...?" I whispered, throwing the blankets off of me and running out of the room, down the hallway, and into the kitchen.

"What have I told you about running? You're going to hurt yourself!" I couldn't believe it. It was her...my mother.

"Mom!" I ran into her arms, hugging her tightly, as she laughed and embraced me.

"Well what has gotten into you?" She asked.

"I've missed you so much!" I cried.

"Sweetie, I haven't gone anywhere. Did you have a nightmare or something?" I didn't respond. I just kept hugging her, smelling the scent of her perfume, and hearing the faint beating of her heart.

"Something like that."

"Well it was just a bad dream, okay? Everything is fine now." She smiled, placing a soft kiss on my forehead. "Now sit down and eat. We have a big day ahead of us." I sat down at the table, looking around the familiar kitchen, instantly frowning.

"Where's grandma?" I asked.

"Oh, she's not here. I thought we could have a mother/daughter day. How does that sound?"

"Like an absolute dream." I'm not sure if I was dead or dreaming, but I didn't question it. I was going to enjoy this moment for as long as I could.

*

*

*~Omniscient~*

Reid paced back and forth in the waiting room, impatiently waiting on a doctor to come out and tell them about Melanie's condition. She was immediately rushed into surgery once they got to the hospital, leaving Spencer waiting alone in the waiting room. Eventually, the rest of the team joined him, as they all sat quietly in the waiting room.

"Any news yet?" Rossi questioned, gaining everyone's attention. He waited until Marci was asleep, before sneaking away to check on the team, and find out Melanie's condition.

"Nothing yet." Morgan answered, looking over at Spencer, who was still pacing back and forth. He hadn't said a word to anyone and all he wanted was to know if Melanie was okay.

"How's Marci doing?" Hotch asked.

"She suffered a gunshot wound to the shoulder, but the doctors said she's going to be fine." Everyone was relieved to hear that.

"What's taking so long?" Spencer questioned.

"These things take time, Spence. Come sit down." JJ said. She had never seen Spencer so worked up and it scared her a little.

"I'm good."

"I don't think he's had time to process everything." Prentiss whispered. "You know how close he and Melanie are." JJ had the urge to roll her eyes, but restrained herself from doing so. She had a gut feeling that something was going on between the two friends, but she didn't have any proof. Little did she know...her gut feeling wasn't wrong.

"Family of Melanie Pratt?" A doctor called out, as everyone stood up from their seats.

"How is she?" Hotch asked, approaching the doctor.