22.) The Lucky One

Melanie

One Week Later...

I never thought about what would happen after I die, nor did I believe that there was life after death. Growing up, I learned that there were two places that someone's soul could end up, and that's heaven and/or hell. Sure, I wasn't the most religious person, but deep down I knew that I was a good person. Then again...if I was a good person, then why did my life end so tragically?

I could hear muffled voices in the distance, which forced me to slowly open my eyes, feeling the most excruciating pain radiating throughout my entire body. Where the hell was I? The last thing I remember was waking up in my old childhood bedroom, spending the day with my Mom, but now? I was in a hospital bed, surrouned by flowers, balloons, and fruit baskets.

"No changes yet, but I'll let you know if it does." I heard someone say, as Penelope walked into my room. She had her phone pressed against her ear, while struggling to carry her bag and a cup of coffee. "Okay, I'm on it. Let me get set up really quick, and I'll have those names to you lickety split!" She clearly didn't notice that I was awake and watching her, while she got her laptop out and quickly set up her work space.

"Garcia?" I spoke in a low, hoarse voice. She jumped and looked over at me, her eyes lighting up.

"Oh my God, you're awake! How are you feeling? No, don't answer that, I'm pretty sure you're feeling terrible right now."

"You have no idea. How long have I been out for?"

"You've been in and out for about a week now. Just like everyone has been in and out of this hospital all week, ensuring that you were okay, and just so you know...I am so angry at you! I'm so happy you're finally awake, but I'm also really angry!" She says, taking a deep breath. "The team has been worried sick, but I'll tell you all about that in just a minute. For now, I'm going to get a doctor in here to check you out, while I get some information sent to the team. They're going to be so happy when they hear that you're awake." She rushes out of the room, yelling out to a doctor, which made me crack a slight smile. Not gonna lie...I'm glad that she was the first person I saw when I woke up. She just has the calming and comforting aura about her, which I really needed right now.

After Garcia alerted the nurses and doctors about me being awake, they wasted no time coming in and checking me out. They asked me a bunch of questions, like did I know where I was and if I remembered what happened, to which I answered yes and that I remembered bits and pieces. They then sent me to do a number of tests, just to make sure that I wasn't at risk of brain damage, and considered me one of the "lucky ones" since I survived something so horrific. The only issue was that my hand was completely shattered and it was going to take a lot of time and surgery, before I got mobility back in it. Other than that...I was expected to make a full, but slow recovery.

"Are you comfortable? Do you need anything?" Penelope asked me, once I got settled back in my room.

"I'm fine." I lied, looking down at my bandaged hand. I could feel the tears swelling up in my eyes, but I quickly blinked them away. "Well...as fine as I can be, all things considered."

"Can I just say...you are one of the strongest people I've ever met, which is why you fit in so well with all of us. We've all endured terrible situations, but we've always come out on top. Some more than others, but...you get what I'm saying."

"I'm really glad I met you guys. You know...I never really had a solid group of friends growing up, but...I'm glad I have some now."

"No honey, you don't have friends. You have family, which is what we are. One big happy, dysfunctional family, that loves and protects each other no matter what." She said, as I wiped the falling tears. I didn't mean to get emotional in this very moment, but I couldn't help myself. Everything was starting to hit me all at once and I didn't know how to handle it. "And speaking of said dysfunctional family, they cracked open yet another case, which means they're on their way here to see you."

"Oh God, I'm sure I look terrible. Do you mind helping me fix myself up a little bit?" I asked her.

"No, not at all."

Spending the day with Garcia was something I never knew I needed, but I'm glad that she was here with me. I'm so used to spending time with everyone else, so having this moment with her meant a lot to me.

"So? What do you think?" She smiled, holding up the mirror. When I asked her to help me fix myself up, I didn't think she'd go all out like she did. She styled my hair up in a high, but cute messy bun, and then added some makeup to my face. I rarely wear makeup, but seeing how much of an improvement it was...I think I might start.

"I look amazing." I smiled. "Thank you, Penelope. Not just for this, but...for being here with me when I woke up."

"Of course. I couldn't stand the thought of you being here alone, especially while everyone else is out solving cases." She started cleaning up a little, just as the door opened, and both Reid and Morgan walked in. "Ah, your guardian angels have arrived." I smiled a little, as Reid rushed over and gave me an awkward but gentle hug. I'm guessing he didn't want to hurt me, even though I was on some serious pain medicine at the moment.

"Hey...I'm so sorry that I wasn't here when you woke up." He said, kissing my forehead. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay. I uh...I have a long road of recovery ahead of me, but that's better than the alternative."

"I knew you'd make it through this. Your tough, kid." Morgan said, as he gives me a hug.

"I don't know about all that, but I'll take your compliment." I said, laughing a little. "Where is everyone else?"

"They should be here any minute." For a moment, everything goes quiet, and I take a deep breath before asking the question that I was dying to know the answer to.

"The Spider Man...is he dead?" Both Reid and Morgan glanced at each other, before looking back at me.

"Yeah...he's dead." Morgan responded. "He can't hurt you anymore."

"Yeah, but he'll forever haunt me. I'm guessing that's what he wanted." I sighed. "It's bad enough that he killed my Mom and made me see how it happened all over again, but now my grandma is dead and I..." I took a deep breath, feeling the tears swell up in my eyes.

"Melanie...about your grandmother..." Reid began, but was cut off when Hotch, Prentiss, and JJ walked inside.

"You have no idea how happy I am to see you awake!" Emily said, embracing me in a tight hug. I winced a little, causing her to quickly pull away. "Sorry! I'm sorry."

"It's fine. I'm happy to see you guys too, but...where's Rossi?"

"He's arranged a little surprise for you." Hotch spoke, as he nodded his head at JJ. She smiled and opened the door, making my eyes go wide, when I saw both Rossi and my grandma.

"Grandma?" I whispered, as the tears started falling. "You're alive?!"

"Yes baby girl. It'll take more than a bullet to get rid of me." She smiled, wrapping me in her loving embrace. "I'm glad you're okay." I sobbed into her shoulder, hugging her tight, and ignoring the pain that I was feeling. I can only hope that this moment was real and not a dream, because if it was...my conscious would be a cold, cruel son of a bitch!