12.) Take Care

I winced at the pain that was radiating from my body, as I stepped off of the elevator. I had literally just finished training academy for the day, when Chief Strauss basically summoned me to the office. I swear, I'm here more than I was before asking to take a break, which literally makes no damn sense.

"Dang, you look terrible!" Morgan said, as soon as I stepped into the bullpen.

"Do you say that to all the women or just me?" I asked, being sarcastic. "Training whooped my ass today and before I could even go home and soak my sore body, Chief Strauss summoned me."

"She did? Why?" Spencer questioned.

"I don't know, but I guess I'm bout to find out." I groaned, walking up the stairs, before knocking on Hotch's door.

"Come in." Hotch called out. I opened the door, seeing the chief, Hotch, and Rossi sitting in the office.

"Am I in some sort of trouble? Because I can assure you, I didn't do anything. To my knowledge anyways." I said, slowly taking a seat. Gah, my body hurts!

"It seems as if Chief Strauss has a problem with you wanting to take a step back from helping us with cases." Rossi said.

"I don't have a problem with it, but I am curious at why you all of a sudden want to take a step back. You've been given a once in a lifetime opportunity, joining the BAU, and you haven't even finished training yet." She said.

"Yeah, and that's the problem."

"Excuse me?"

"With all due respect, Chief Strauss, I have a full plate right now. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the opportunity, but between school, training, and cases? I'm exhausted. And what good would I be to the team if I were constantly tired?" I said.

"A liability." Rossi said.

"Though I appreciate you being smart about this, the team needs you." She said.

"The team is doing just fine." Hotch said. "And Melanie is on call if and when we need her, which she always comes through."

"Exactly. Besides, I don't even get paid to be here, so technically...I'm doing you a favor." I told her, crossing my arms. I wasn't trying to be rude, arrogant, or cocky, but it was the truth. Technically, I'm just an intern, so I don't get paid for all the time and energy I put into the cases.

"You're absolutely right." She began, opening up a file and pulling out an envelope, sliding it towards me. "I've heard what a great asset you've become to the team and you deserve all the perks that come with it." I furrowed my eyebrows, grabbing the envelope, and opening it up.

"Holy shit!" Whoops. Word vomit. "Excuse my language, but...holy shit!" There was a huge check, written out to me, and I literally never seen so many zeros on something next to my name.

"That should be the right amount for all the time you've been putting in."

"Thank you for this, but...I hope you know it doesn't change anything. I still want to finish training, before fully committing to this job." I said.

"I understand completely, but after talking to your drill sergeant...he seems to have some...concerns. Which is another reason why I called you here today." She began, making me furrow my eyebrows.

"So I am in trouble? Well...we should've started with that first."

"If I may, chief." Rossi said, standing up. "You aren't in any trouble, but your drill sergeant made a comment about your shooting. He says that it was the most advanced shooting he's ever seen."

"Uh...correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a good thing, isn't it?" I asked.

"In most cases yes, but there isn't a record of you having a gun license which is why we're a bit concerned." Strauss said.