2

Rosaline

The duke Elliot Ravenden and Rosaline Vladenburg had first met at the young age of eleven and as to be expected Elliot hated her. She was an annoyance who would never leave his side and was always clinging to him, like a parasite. But he never hated her to the point of wanting her dead until she hurt his dear Emma. Rosaline had whined to her parents over and over again for years about how she wanted to marry the duke and to shut her up they forced him to agree. This engagement was like his chain and even though they were engaged he never planned on showing her any  kind of love and quickly broke off the engagement as soon as he met Emma which left her heartbroken.

Judging by the date of today this was two months before the actual story started, at the ball, so until then I just had to stay out of Elliot's bad sides and leave him be and then completely disappear once he meet Emma. Should've been easy. Unlike the original Rosaline I wasn't madly in love with the duke nor as spiteful as her so the chances of me dying like her were close to none. Therefore I didn't feel the need to worry about that. 

I stared up at the wall, the steam covering the whole room, making my face flush. The water nice and warm with some red petals scattered on top. I let my face sink into the water, hoping my thoughts would get drowned out by the heat.

I didn't feel particularly sad over my new life, I had read several novels like this one, only that the girl would miss her original world or try to find a way to get back. Yet I couldn't think like that. My old life was something I had wanted to escape, I didn't even react when I was drowning and just accepted my fate. My family, my siblings, my classmates, everyone, everything, I just hated it all. I had finally been freed from my cursed life but is this one any better? 

I closed my eyes and got up slightly so that I wouldn't drown. 

I've gotten one more chance at life..

I didn't want it to go the same way my last one ended.. In solitude. Not a single person near me as I took my last breath.

This time I wanted to feel happy and live a life that wouldn't be filled with regret.

I stood up fast, feeling a sudden influx of motivation.

"Yeah this time my life will go differently! I'll make sure of it!!" 

"What was that milady?"

"Ah! Oh well it's nothing." I tried to say calmly as to not gather anymore suspicion from Susan. I dried my body and put on my lavender robe which turned a nice white the further down it went.  Entering my bedroom I saw a navy blue dress that was white by the hems. The jewels at the bottom adding a nice sparkle and the intricate designs flowing through it made it a real beauty to behold. 'I'm going to wear that?' I could hardly believe it but kept my composure. "What time is it?" 

"It's 10.47 milady and you're supposed to be at the Ravenden estate by 12.30. It'll take nearly one hour to get there so we've got to go early."

I nodded at Susan's words and spotted some tea, fluffy pancakes and strawberries on a small white desk. I guessed that that'll be my breakfast. Susan pulled the chair for me, letting me sit down and enjoy the food. The mild tea with the soft pancakes that felt like clouds and the perfectly ripe strawberries was absolutely amazing. "Who made this meal Susan?" She stiffened at my words but I paid no mind to it.

"The head maids assistant, Riverly Brooks." She lightly eyed me, scared of what was going to come out of my mouth next. "Tell Riverly thanks for me, this breakfast was wonderful and I'm truly going to miss their food." I gave Susan a small smile and she simply stuttered a weak 'yes' as a response. "Now then it's time for me to get ready isn't it?"

"Why of course milady."

With each ticking moment I was coming closer to my meeting with the duke Elliot Ravenden. He could be the bearer of my despair if I didn't play my cards right..