22

Rosaline

We walked along the empty stone streets, not speaking to eachother, I could feel his eyes on me but I tried to ignore it. I was leading the way so he was behind me. I turned around facing him. "We can't go in without you wearing a mask."

"It's alright I already bought one after having heard you made Anna buy you one."

"And I thought I hid it well." I sighed.

I looked at him and noticed that he was wearing a black coat. 'He really was prepared.'

We came to a stop once we reached the destination, we now stood infront of the Rosewelds tavern. I pushed the door open and steeped in. I was hit by a smell of wine and perfume. Clearly the only clients here were upperclass.

A young man stepped in front of me.

"Is there anything you want miss?"

"The auction."

".. Alright, follow me."

He led us to a tight staircase that took us underground. There was little to no light in there, only a few dimly lit candles. I nearly tripped several times but Elliot caught me each time.

'Sigh.. I'm definetily pissing him off.'

Soon enough we got to the auditorium and there was such a bright light here. The man led me and Elliot to a seat and gave us a number.

'173'

Slowly the room started to get filled with more and more masked people, they all looked so smug and had twisted smiles plastered on their faces. The room was filled with small chatter from everywhere but stopped once a short man entered the stage. "It is time! I'm sure you're all excited." He said with laughter making the audience smile and chuckle.

"Well then you all know how this works so I'm not gonna drag this out for too long, let's begin the auction!" The crowd cheered at his words. I felt sick, for these grown adults to care this little about life. It was absolutely horrid. I took a deep breath to calm myself and looked forward, not cowering under the pressure.

"Slave number 32! A female presumed to be around 10 to 12, quite weak and isn't great with labor but can still fulfill other needs. Starting bid is 400 gold coins."

"450!" Someone called out.

"600!"

"850!"

There was silence after that, no one opposed.

"Sold!" The man in the stage shouted.

It continued like this for nearly an hour. After all this time I still had not seen Alono, I started to worry, had Malfus given me the wrong information? No, I knew how capable he was. Nothing would come out of worrying right now.

But even so..

"The next slave is quite special, he's a werebeast with unique golden eyes and hair. A true beauty who's really worth his price."

"No way."

'Just from looking at him I could tell that it was him.'

"Alono." I said out loud without thinking.

Elliot glanced at me but I was too caught up in my emotions to notice.

"Starting bid is 1000 gold coins."

I immidietly raised my number.

"2000."

Elliot looked at me with confusion, he probably didn't expect me to act like this but I didn't care.

"2500" Someone else said.'

I looked to where the voice came from and it was a young looking woman, sitting across from me holding the number 66. She had a smug look on her face that pissed me off.

'I'm not gonna lose.'