Chapter 10 - Night Of Flashing Lights

Dae-eun stared at the piggy bank with blank eyes.
More lives...
Turned to cash...

The main doors slid open, revealing workers, soldiers and square masks that Dae-eun had come to recognise as managers.
They wheeled in a pair of carts as the lady over the PA announced it was mealtime, instructing them to form a line in the centre of the room.
Dae-eun did just that, following her group into the line as they got their rations.

A glass bottle of water.
And a hard-boiled egg.

The group retreated to the stairs leading up to the beds with their food, eating in silence as the rest of the people got their food too.
"225." A voice alerted her.
She looked up, seeing it was the old man who was talking to her.

"Did something happen during the second game?"
His words made her freeze up again, though she continued drinking her water and shook her head.
"I only ask since... you had no problem watching Players die during the first game."

She didn't freeze in fear that time.
She paused in confusion.
What? What's that supposed to mean?

She looked over at him, flicking between his eyes for a moment before sighing.
"Nothing happened. I just... need a bit of time to gather my thoughts, I feel a bit scatter-brained is all." She stated firmly.
The old man's response was a grunt as he continued to eat.

"5 meals are missing sir!"

A commotion took her attention.
She looked up to see five people without food, looking towards the tables to find them empty.
Her brow furrowed.

That's weird...
It's unlike the staff to be short of meals... what's going on?
The square-masked manager turned to them.

"We prepared food for the exact number of players." He stated.
"So where are our meals, please sir we need to eat- ah!" The man at the front flinched as the manager took out and cocked his pistol.
"It was prepared for the exact number." He practically hissed.

"Excuse me." A voice rose from among the Players who were still eating.
This was a woman across from Dae-eun's group, the number 198 emblazoned on her back.
She rose her hand, pointing across the room towards another group.

"It was them... they... skipped the line and got seconds. I saw it."
The room turned to the group of five as they stood eating, expecting some sort of explanation.
"Hey, what's the matter everyone, come on? You never seen a guy eat before?" Player 101 stated.

She recognised the thug who had harassed 67 the first time they were brought to the facility. Player 101.
As well as the woman who 'couldn't name her kid,' Player 212.
The man who had been at the front of the people without meals stomped over, raising an accusing hand.

Dae-eun watched the scene unfold with wrapped interest, her chin rested in her hand.
"Who do you think you are? That's my food you just ate!" He grumbled. The thug merely smiled, holding up the glass bottle.
"So, uh, is this yours? Is your name on it? 'Cause I sure don't see anything." He laughed, his group laughing with him.

As he went to take another swig, the man rushed him, going for the bottle.
"Give me that! It's mine! Give it back to me!"
Smash!

The bottle was knocked from their grip and shattered on the hard floor, the water being spilled and fragments of stained glass flicking everywhere.
The thug grabbed the man's shirt, rage bubbling in his eyes.
"Why did you break it, you jerk? How's this, huh?!" He beat him, the man (Player 271) being knocked to the ground.