Chapter 18 - Higher or Lower

Dae-eun awoke to the lights turning on and the classical wake-up music.
Her almost-white hair fell over her eyes like a curtain that she had to brush away.
Next to her, Gi-hun and Sang-woo stirred and squinted in the new light.

The main door buzzed and opened, four workers walking in while carrying a ribboned coffin.
Dae-eun furrowed her brow.
Did someone do a silent kill last night?

Dae-eun searched the room for the body, turning around fully before she saw it.
Correction, someone didn't do a silent kill, someone killed themselves.
The corpse of Player 69 hung from a makeshift noose, his neck having broken because of gravity.

His shoes were on the step where he had hung from, showing it had been his choice to die.
Dae-eun felt the mood in the room drop as the workers went about taking him down and stuffing him into the coffin.
The girl watched as Sang-woo's eyes glistened, then turned to her, receiving a cold stare.

"Player 69, eliminated."

The lights dimmed slightly as another 100 million won dropped into the piggybank and the scoreboard trilled to change.
16 Players.
44 Billion won.

The Game music began.

"Attention, all Players. The fifth game is about to begin. All Players, follow the staff's instructions and swiftly make your way towards the game hall. Let me repeat the instructions. The fifth game is about to begin. All Players, follow the staff's instructions and swiftly make your way towards the game hall."

Dae-eun leapt off her bunk as the soldier walked in to lead them away, being one of the first to join the line.
They were lead through the M. C. Escher-esc room again, this time being led higher up than they'd ever gone.
Dae-eun kept her mouth shut the entire way, not even her mind was being loud.

Her existence was silent for possibly the first time ever.

...
(Hawk VIP POV)
(A/N: Due to the fact no names are ever mentioned, I will use their masks as their names)

Each of the VIPs had taken their seats to begin viewing the fifth game.
Lion, Buffalo and Deer were in occupation of the three front platforms.
Whereas Jungle Cat, Bear and Hawk were relegated to the back.

The Front Man stood at a black podium, a thin microphone up to his face.
Hawk sat in the centre of the back row, a glass of fine white wine in his hand.
He watched idly as a masked servant passed him, looking about the room.

Said servant took some wine to Jungle Cat, who appeared intrigued by the servant as his gaze followed him as he walked away.
Hawk looked up at the large board in front of him, displaying the current Players.
There were 16 in total remaining, each of them rather different from the last.

He knew his fellow VIPs had already placed their bets on a few.
101, for example, he knew that Bear had bet on him because of his muscular appearance.
Jungle Cat had expressed an interest in 62, so his mind was put off that.

But... one contestant caught his Hawk eyes.
A girl, perhaps slightly older than 20, with a Pink Streak running through her hair.
Number 225.

"Front Man." Hawk spoke up.
"Yes, sir?" He asked.
"That Player there, the girl with the pink streak, Number 225. What's her record like?"

The Front Man looked down at his podium, obviously he must have had a screen there or something.
With a few button presses, he likely brought up the girl's file.
"Her name is Song Dae-eun, age 23. She's been shown throughout the games to be a bit of a wild card."