Chapter 22 - Hawk's Watch

(There will be a lot of switching back and forth between perspectives in this chapter)

Four Players left.
Two Men.
Two Women.

An injured North Korean defector, Number 67.
A prodigy genius fallen from grace, Number 218.
A disadvantaged father in debt, Number 456.
And a white-haired college dropout, Number 225.

"Player 218, Player 456, Player 67 and Player 225, welcome to the final game." The manager said.
They were in a rocky tunnel in front of a pair of reinforced metal doors with a manager and two soldiers.
Dae-eun stood beside Gi-hun, and Sae-byeok beside Sang-woo.

Sae-byeok had been treated for her wound, the bleeding had mostly stopped now, but she was still in a lot of pain.
Sang-woo and Gi-hun simply stared at each other.
Dae-eun was still playing back what Gi-hun had tried to do when the manager had arrived with the medics.

"You could've saved them!" His voice rang in her head, echoing between her ears.
"Before we begin, we'll flip a coin to decide who plays offence or defence. Please choose a shape, triangle or square." The manager held up a coin.
Dae-eun turned to Gi-hun, who narrowed his gaze at her.

She made no verbal comment, instead shaping her fingers into a triangle.
"Triangle." Gi-hun said.
The manager flipped the coin into the air, catching it between his hands as it came down.

He revealed the shape.
"It's triangle. Players 456 and 225, please choose either offence or defence."
Gi-hun looked to Dae-eun again, who put a fist into the palm of her other hand, a strong expression on her face.

"Offence." He announced.
"Players 456 and 225 will play offence. Players 218 and 67 will defend." The manager confirmed.
He turned to the doors, the two soldiers pushing them open.

Sunlight streamed in, the two teams making their way on to the playing field.
Dae-eun was already assessing her surroundings, though what she saw surprised her.
It was the same sandy field they played Red Light, Green Light on, even the robot doll was still there.

The only difference was the white outline set into the floor, shaped with a triangle, square and a few circles.
"For the final game, you will be playing Squid Game." The manager announced.

(Hawk VIP POV)

"Squid Game." Lion rolled the name off his tongue. "What an odd name."
"It was originally a children's game that was played in Korea many years ago." The Front Man explained.
Hawk was silent as he watched his bet make her way on to the field.

His eyes narrowed behind the golden mask, taking a sip from the wine glass in his hand.
She could win this.

(Dae-eun POV)

I'm at such a disadvantage!
I've never played Squid Game! I'm too young!
Fuck!

"Let me explain the rules of Squid Game." The manager began.
Dae-eun readied herself to memorise the rules.

1. The attackers must enter the squid-shaped court, run past the defence, and then tap the area inside the squid's head with their foot to secure the win.
2. The defenders must block the attackers' advance and force them outside of the court's bounds in order to win.
3. If a situation arises in which either team is unable to continue playing the game, the last team standing will be the winner

The Teams stopped with the manager, facing each other.
"A Team's unable to continue. Could you explain that?" Gi-hun asked.
"That would be referring to the Team's death. And now, with that, let the game begin."