Chapter 16 - Nim

"Attention. All Players, please follow the staff to your designated positions for the game."

Dae-eun watched as one guard each walked up and paused in front of the pairs, allowing them to follow.
Finally, a guard walked up to Dae-eun and the pastor, ironically, with the same scratch in his mask.
Then that means...

That's right.
If Dae-eun loses, Jin-sun has to kill her, for real.

She also noticed that he was missing his machine gun, instead seeing the hammer of a revolver sticking out of his pocket.
Her mind was quickly cast back to her dream, where he pulled out a pistol and shot her.
Was that a sign? Am I supposed to die here?

Jin-sun lead the two through the game hall, which was designed to look like a suburban Korean neighbourhood.
With sand paths, wood, brick, and stone dividers, resembling walls and gates.
Jin-sun finally stopped where they would be playing, a thin sandy alleyway, with a few gates on the side.

Dae-eun could see Sae-byeok and Ji-yeong where they were, just around the corner.
Again, more coincidences...
Dae-eun turned to Jin-sun as he turned around to both her and the pastor.

"Players, please take one bag each from the staff member before you."

He raised up two soft, grey, drawstring pouches.
Dae-eun took one, while the pastor took the other.
The girl growing white hair began inspecting it thoroughly, flipping it over and fiddling with the tassels.

"There should be a set of ten marbles in each bag. Please check to confirm the number."

The girl emptied her bag into her hand, creating a pile of multicoloured marbles.
She counted them up, and there were, indeed, 10 marbles.
Ten each, two a piece, whittle out the weak, so their life will cease.

Ten marbles each...
Two in a team...
Everything's lined up so far...

Dae-eun looked up at Jin-sun, and also noticed he was wearing a body camera again.
He can't help me with this one.
It's down to me.

"In this game, using your set of ten marbles, you will play the game of your choice with your partner. The Player who manages to take all ten marbles from their partner wins. Let me repeat the instructions. Using your set of ten marbles, play the game of your choice with your partner. The Player who manages to take all ten marbles from their partner wins."

I was... right.
I was right!
I deciphered the cipher!

Dae-eun was overwhelmingly happy that her plan hadn't backfired, yet.
And now, it was just a case of what they were going to play.
Turning towards the pastor, she saw a dark expression in his eyes, as if accepting his fate or descending into dark thoughts.

"You will have 30 minutes for this game."
A timer appeared over the walls, mimicking a sun during sunrise.
"Let the game begin."

...

Dae-eun turned to the pastor.
"So, what game should we play?" He asked.
Dae-eun raised her brow.

"You're asking me?"
"The Lord thinks you are clever, thus, I believe you should pick the game."
Dunno what God told you I'm clever but clearly he doesn't know what mental illness means.