Chapter 14 - It's Too Quiet

The group spent around 15 minutes using the bed frames and mattresses to create a barricade, while relocating their beds inside.
Dae-eun was helping the other girls to set up the beds, while the men worked on sliding the blockades into place.
A voice caught Dae-eun's ear, one she knew belonged to a thug.

101 appeared near where Gi-hun was setting up.
They began talking, not loud enough for her to hear, but visible enough for her to interpret from their lips.
She managed to catch that they were discussing whether 101 could trust his team.

And the man's eyes, followed by an unsure turn of his head, betrayed that he felt he couldn't.
Gi-hun finished with him and slid the board over.
When he turned around, he made brief eye contact with the girl before she continued folding up bedsheets.

Unknowingly, of course, Gi-hun had saved them the trouble of dealing with 101's gang that night.

...

When the barricade had been secured, the group gathered together.
There was just over a minute left on the clock.
"They'll shit off the lights soon." Gi-hun began. "They might not all come right away, so we'd better swap out who's gonna keep watch, just to be safe."

"Two of us should watch." Sang-woo jumped in. "The pair can keep each other awake."
"Mm." Dae-eun hummed. "And only one person could betray us, and leave."
Sang-woo looked up at her briefly before averting his gaze.

"I'll go first." He suggested, Ali raised his hand.
"I'm not tired yet, I'll go with you." He confirmed.
"Then I'll be next." Gi-hun volunteered.

"Then... why don't I join you on second watch? Assuming that's ok?" 001 asked.
"Are you sure you're up to it sir? You were up all night last night, as well." Dae-eun asked.
"It's ok... you don't really... need much sleep when you're old." He assured her.

"Then the old man will join me on second watch." Gi-hun stated.
The time ticked down further and Dae-eun got up to head to bed.
Her bed was positioned as one of the highest up, making it harder to access.

The time beeped just as she got under the covers, plunging the room into darkness.
She rolled over and tugged the fleece closer, closing her eyes.
Sleep tugged at her consciousness before she let it claim her.

...

She didn't have dreams for what seemed like hours.
And then, finally, she managed to get a few.
Not what one would call dreams though...

She opened her eyes to find herself back in her house, her old old house.
The one her parents owned.
And all at once, her memories flooded back.

A figure moved into the hallway she stood in, and she knew it from the mirror she'd been staring in for 23 years.
It was her, and the smaller child walked straight through her.
But... she was younger, and with no pink streak in her hair.

This was before college, my gambling debt, the game...
This was before my life went crashing downhill...

Her spectator-like form was forced to follow her younger self to her old school.
Dae-eun knew the path, even now, along with noticing her younger self counting the turns in the street on her fingers to stay sane.
They arrived at the school, and Dae-eun hovered around her old friend group.

And then...
Another figure caught her eye.
A boy, taller than her by a few inches, with short blackened hair.

Dae-eun watched as he approached her younger self, then lifted her off her feet into a bridal carry.
"Morning Song-Song." He said.
Jin-sun...