Chapter 19 - A Leap Of Faith

I- wha... are you kidding?!
She looked across the bridge, judging it accordingly.
Deadly hopscotch is the fifth game?! What the fuck?!

Unbeknownst to Dae-eun, of course, but the VIPs were watching both her and the other contestants through golden opera glasses.
In particular, one such Hawk was cautious over what her move would be.
Especially with a game like this...

"For this game, you will have 16 minutes. Players must cross the bridge within those 16 minutes.
And now, with that, let the game begin.
Each Player, take off your shoes, then go up to the tiles in order."

Dae-eun watched the man in front with bated breath after slipping off her shoes.
He seemed to hesitate, looking between both tiles with apprehension.
From this distance, she couldn't make out any difference in the tiles...

How the ever loving shit am I going to pass this?
She watched as the guy at the front (the Front Man haha- I'm sorry) looked apprehensive.
He turned to the manager who stood next to him.

"That means the numbers on us...?" He asked, uncertain.
"Are the order in which you will cross the bridge." The pink manager replied, brutal honesty in his words.
Number 1 turned around, looking at Gi-hun with wide eyes.

Dae-eun spotted Gi-hun working his jaw, exhaling heavily, she could almost hear his racing heart.
It's not like I'm an exception, even with all the hints I had going in...
Dae-eun watched as the man at the front turned back to the manager.

"How do I tell which is the tempered one?" He quivered.
Dae-eun resisted the urge to roll her eyes.
You really think he'd tell you? If they don't tell you how, you're not supposed to know.

As expected, he was offered no help and faced down the glass bridge.
He began to shuffle forward with halting steps, making it to the threshold and stepping up.
Dae-eun heard the timer begin ticking down, counting the seconds subconsciously.

...

It's been nearly two minutes...
AND HE HASN'T MOVED AN INCH-
Dae-eun had half a mind to push him over, but she didn't need to.

Player 101 approached him.
"Take your step now, or I'll push your ass." He whispered.
"I'll go! I'll go, ok? I'll go! I'll go right now!" The first player whimpered.

Dae-eun watched as the man made his leap.
To the tile on his left, and, surprisingly, he picked correctly.
The Players around her exclaimed and cheered for him, encouraging him.

It surprised her, to say the least, usually it was kill or be killed in here...
But there was an air of camaraderie in the small group that managed to calm Dae-eun nerves somewhat.
The girl with now-white hair watched as he prepared to make his next move

(Hawk VIP POV)

Hawk and the other VIPs watched with wrapped attention at the scene unfolding on the bridge.
The manager operating the model moved a chess piece labelled '1' on to the corresponding tile.
They watched as he leapt forward on to the next tile and fell.

The manager moved up the chess piece and then knocked it and the tile off.
"He's gone!" Bear exclaimed.
"Oh, no. Well, that's it for 96." Lion added.