𝟎𝟏𝟕 | ALL THAT REMAINS

THE ELEVATOR down to the main area of the CDC wasn't made for so many people to fit into at one time, proved by how cramped the ride down was. It was silent, uncomfortably so, but they were alive - despite everything they'd endured to get there - so Mya figured she'd take the awkwardness of the elevator ride rather than being walker food.

"Doctors always go around packing heat like that?" Daryl was the first to speak up, gesturing towards the fairly threatening gun the doctor held. Not that Mya could blame him for taking precautions, they certainly had when Glenn had been taken.

Dr Edwin Jenner was far less intimidating when he wasn't waving that gun at them, instead cradling it casually as he leant against the cold metal of the elevator. "There were plenty left lying around. I familiarized myself, but you all look harmless enough." He explained, directing his glance over to Carl, "Except you. I'll have to keep my eye on you."

Carl shot him a mischievous smile, as though he actually was a threat, earning a quiet chuckle from Jenner. It was enough to lighten the mood, and enough for Mya to hope that perhaps it wouldn't be too bad down here.

The elevator doors opened, revealing a long corridor that was enough to make Mya's feet ache at just the sight of it - although, they were aching enough already. Jenner began walking down, followed eagerly by the group. This had to be sub-levels of the CDC, Mya assumed, turning to say something to Carol before noticing how on edge she seemed.

"Mom, are you okay?" She asked softly, gently tapping Carol's arm.

"Do you think we're underground?" Carol responded with her own question, glancing nervously around, searching for a hint as to how low beneath the ground they were.

Jenner turned, clearly having overheard the conversation, "Are you claustrophobic?" He questioned, essentially giving Carol the answer to her question. Mya didn't particularly mind herself, anything was better than what they'd faced outside.

"A little." Carol answered shortly.

"Try not to think about it." Jenner suggested, calling out to someone - another scientist perhaps? - as they entered what seemed to be the main area of the facility, "Vi, bring up the lights in the big room."

On command, the lights flickered on with a humming buzz to reveal an empty CDC. Mya gritted her teeth, the lack of scientists causing her to lose hope in the possibility of a cure. "This Vi, she works here too?" Mya asked, reassured by the idea that at least someone else was still alive.

His answer was almost a little too vague, causing Mya to frown, but not question it any further, "Something like that. Welcome to Zone 5." Jenner responded, brushing over the identity of Vi.