𝟎𝟎𝟑 | HIGHWAY HOME

THERE WAS A SILENCE that lingered over the group who huddled in the back of the truck. All stared blankly into the distance, the weight of the world rested on their shoulders. They should've died in that building, the would've died if it wasn't for Officer Friendly, who currently drove the truck back to camp. Eventually, they all collectively glanced over at T-Dog expectantly, coming to the realisation that Merle wasn't in the truck. T-Dog had been the last person with him before they'd fled Atlanta.

"I dropped the damn key." T-Dog confessed, lowering his head in shame.

Mya's mind immediately took her to Daryl Dixon, the younger brother of Merle. Of course, Mya hated Merle as much as the next person, but she knew he was the only family Daryl had left. She knew what it was like to have family ripped away in just a few moments without even realising. Her daughter and her husband, they'd been snatched from right under her nose.

"What do you mean you dropped the key?" Mya pressed. She couldn't blame T-Dog for dropping the key, it wasn't his fault. Merle had been the one who had gotten himself into that situation, but that didn't make it any easier.

The guilt on T-Dog's face was obvious, the kind of guilt that couldn't be explained - like seeing a parent break down crying or the uneasiness that came with overthinking old actions. "It fell in the gutter. I couldn't get him free." He continued to explain.

Another moment of silence fell upon the group until Andrea sat up straight and scanned the people in the truck in a sudden panic, "Where's Glenn?" She asked, instantly causing Mya to worry that the former pizza delivery boy had been left in the city to die like Merle. They couldn't lose anyone else today.

"He drew the noise away, he'll be heading back to your camp." Officer Friendly answered, which put all of the group at ease, earning a collective sigh of relief from each member.

Mya shifted in her seat, tilting her head slightly, "It could be your camp too, y'know. You did us a solid back there." She offered. She knew he'd fit in well with the group, him and Shane would probably hit it off right away. Maybe he'd like Lori too, her husband had been a police officer.

There appeared to be a moment, perhaps were he was considering joining the group. But the moment passed as soon as it came and Officer Friendly returned his attention back to the road ahead of them, "I need to find my family." 

It was a valid reason, family was power and it was more important than anything. Yet, his words also made her feel ashamed, she should have searched for Faith and Gareth when she had the chance instead of going to her parent's house. But maybe her mother and Sophia would've died without her help, she couldn't have lived with that. Faith and Gareth could be dead too and she'd have to live wondering if that was true or not. Mya decided not to voice this and instead nodded, lowering her head as Morales moved to sit in the passenger seat next to Officer Friendly.