𝟎𝟐𝟏 | MATTER OF TIME

MYA WASN'T THE only one still willing to fight. In fact, apart from when it had come to looking for Merle, she wasn't sure she'd ever seen Daryl spring into action so quickly before.

He threw his bottle at the door in a fit of rage, before spinning back around to Jenner, "Open the damn door!" He yelled at the scientist, who'd barely said two words since revealing what was going to happen to the group.

Mya hadn't stopped pacing around the room since she'd received the news, eyes glued to the countdown on the big screen. There had to be something that they could do, any way that they could stop Jenner or even escape without his help.

From where she sat with Sophia on the floor, Carol reached a hand out to Mya as she came back around, "Mya, please, just sit down. We don't have much time." Her mother told her tearfully.

She'd already given up and Mya wished she could admit she was surprised, but she couldn't allow her mother to just accept this fate so easily. "No, we're not dying. What's wrong with you?!" Mya shot back, unintentionally turning her rage from the situation onto Carol. She paused guiltily for a moment, lowering her voice as she continued, "Mom, it's fine, we're gonna be fine. You don't have to cry."

Partly complying with her mother's request, Mya crouched down, placing a hand on Sophia's shoulder and offering her the best smile she could muster up, "Hey, honey. You aren't scared, are you?" She asked her sister, with Sophia nodding back unsurprisingly, "Okay.. That's okay, it's okay to be afraid, but you're gonna be just fine."

Sophia didn't respond, instead burying her face into Carol's shoulder, muffled sobs proving that Mya's words hadn't helped her to feel any better.

"Soph, hey.." Mya tried again, tilting her head slightly, cautiously reaching for her hand, "Have I ever let anything bad happen to you before?"

Her younger sister shrugged half-heartedly. Perhaps Mya had, after all, she'd left her alone in that house with their father. It wasn't something Mya had ever been proud of, but Ed hadn't given her a choice, kicking her out the moment he found out she was pregnant with Faith.

Sophia had only been young then, probably too young to even remember why Mya had left, thinking her older sister had just abandoned her. She'd lost so much time with her, time that Mya still had to make up for and she was going to, she had to.

Realising she wasn't doing much to comfort Sophia, Mya stood back up, heading towards where Jenner sat, too careless for what he'd just announced to the group. If it wasn't likely he was their only means of surviving, Mya would've lost her temper long ago.