𝟎𝟐𝟎 | DECONTAMINATION

STAYING WITH SOPHIA had seemed like a better call after the news that Jenner had revealed to the group. Sure, Mya wasn't done asking questions, especially when it came to his strange behaviour about the generators. She'd chosen not to investigate with the others, worried her younger sister might have difficult questions of her own to ask.

The rec room didn't have the same atmosphere as it had the night before, with Carl and Sophia excitedly hunched over a board game while Mya played darts with Daryl. No, if anything, it felt more like a doctor's waiting room now, the kids sat quietly in their seats while it took everything in Mya not to pace anxiously across the room and worry them.

Eventually, Lori, who had yet to say a word - she'd been acting a little off all morning and Mya wasn't sure if it was her place to ask if she was okay - stood up, wafting a hand over the air conditioning unit, like it was alien technology.

"What's the matter?" Mya asked her friend, tilting her head slightly.

Carl poked his head up, sliding off of his seat to stand beside his mother. He made a point of glancing up at the ceiling, where Lori was waving her hand, trying to uncover the mystery of what was troubling her exactly.

"The air conditioning stopped." Lori answered after a moment, seeming somewhat distracted, too busy trying to figure out what had happened.

Mya frowned, confused for a moment, but unable to ignore how tense Lori appeared, the same way she'd been all morning, "Okay?" Mya raised an eyebrow, before lowering her voice as to not worry the kids, "What? You think Jenner turned it off or something?"

Jenner had been acting strangely after the group's last encounter with him, almost storming off once Dale asked him about the clock that kept counting down. Mya tried to remain positive though, if he had bad intentions, wouldn't they have known by now? If he really wanted to, he would've killed them all in their sleep last night.

"Maybe it needs .. fixing or something?" Mya suggested, shaking her head.

Any optimism Mya might've had was gone the instant the light switched off. Sophia let out a panicked gasp, as Carl clung desperately to his mother. Lori and Carl left the room, reluctantly going to see what had happened.

Mya made her way over to where her younger sister was sitting, not wanting to leave her on her own. Sophia had always been scared of the dark, although, Mya had missed a lot of her childhood, preoccupied with raising a kid of her own - she was here now though and she wouldn't let anything hurt Sophia. 

"It's okay, sweetie, it's just a little dark." Mya reassured her, reaching out her hands for Sophia to grab onto. It wasn't pitch black, but she'd rather avoid Sophia tripping over anything on their way out of the rec room.