𝟎𝟎𝟔 | CLOSING IN

WATCHING AS RICK approached his wife, greeting her with a morning kiss, Mya gritted her teeth. She was jealous of them in a way that made her ashamed - while Lori was her friend and she felt no resent towards her, there was a selfish part of Mya that wished she had her family instead. It was wrong to feel and she knew it, especially when Andrea and Amy glanced at each other, smiling upon noticing the couple's interaction.

The faint sound of the truck driving back into camp managed to distract Mya. She turned away from the washing in time to see Shane park the truck and get out, a jug of water in the back. "Water's here, y'all. Just a reminder to bowl before use." He informed the group.

Andrea, being closest to the truck, poured water for herself, Amy and Mya. Taking the water, Mya smiled appreciatively at Andrea. "Thanks." She acknowledged, taking a sip eagerly, "I feel like we don't get much water anymore."

Amy nodded in agreement. Despite the circumstances, the two weren't particularly close, thus meaning small talk was the only conversation that went back and forth between them. "So, you get much sleep?" She offered, an innocent question that caused Mya's gaze to guide itself towards the roof of the trailer. 

She hadn't spoken to Shane since.

"Rain kept me awake." She answered, not a complete lie. She didn't plan on bringing it up to Shane again and she could only hope he'd do the same. Besides, she saw the way he looked at Lori, even now. Maybe if she wasn't married, Mya would pity him.

The exchange wasn't continued once the sound of children screaming echoed across the area. It didn't take long to realise it was the children of the camp - Sophia was out there. As if on queue, Lori and Mya turned at the exact same time, immediately sprinting off into the forest after hearing Carl and Sophia cry out for them. They hadn't gone too far, thankfully, and the children were rushing out the forest themselves by time their respective adults got there. Sophia ran into her arms, Carl doing the same for Lori.

Mya wasn't sure she'd ever held onto someone so tight before, kneeling down to reach her sister's level, "Oh thank God. Did anything get you?" She managed to ask, trying to stop her voice from shaking, Sophia didn't need to know how terrified she'd been. 

"There was a monster, it didn't hurt us." Sophia whimpered, an answer that Mya was sure the other children had also told their parents. The geeks seemed to be getting closer day by day. She returned the gesture and locking her older sister in a hug. 

Ignoring her own fear, Mya continued to hold onto her sister, perhaps to hide the fact that she was just as frightened, "It's okay, you're okay." She whispered comfortingly, pulling away from the embrace to rest her hands on Sophia's shoulders, "Go back to camp, go find Mom, okay? You'll be safe there." Sophia knew the way back to camp from here, considering it was usually safe. Mya wasn't sure why she was forcing herself to deal with the issue, but she knew that her sister couldn't be here if anything else happened.