09. 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗿𝘂𝗶𝘁 𝗯𝗮𝗯𝘆

"WHAT?"

     Wanda perks her brows, glancing at Eszter with a slight frown to her brows, not expecting the short conversation. It had been silent halfway through their drive back home, neither of the sisters bothering to speak about the new friend they'd met. For Eszter, she wanted to avoid the conversation with her sister, but at the same time, she didn't like the thoughts running through her head.

     If anything, Eszter wanted to make things clear about her situation regarding Wesley.

      "Nothing."

     Eszter scoffs. "I know you better than anyone, Wands, and that wasn't nothing," the witch chuckles through her nose, shaking her head in amusement. "You forget that I feel emotions, big sister, and stop."

     "Wha--" Wanda's jaw dropped with a puff of air, feigning offense. "That's soo . . . true. He's so sweet, and he's adorable. What did you guys talk about?"

     She shrugs. "Nothing much."

     This time, it was Wanda's turn to chuckle. "I think it's you that forget that I can read minds, little sister," the woman teases.

     "Don't read my mind," warned Eszter, playfully glaring.

     Wanda turned the steering wheel in the direction of her house, rounding around the corner as the car crept closer toward their destination. A soft laugh came from Wanda, glancing at Eszter with amusement as the younger sister snickered to herself.

     "I'm not, I'm not," Wanda defends. Whipping the car around and into the driveway, Wanda shuts it off after setting it into park. "But I don't need to read your mind or Wes' mind to know you've got a crush."

     The word 'crush' had struck Eszter in the wrong way, so bad that she was cringing like a little girl who hates boy cooties. Call it childish for her to think that way, rightfully so considering there were no romantic feelings for Wesley, nor would there ever be, but Eszter barely knows him. The thought of having any emotions for someone as obnoxious and annoying as Wesley and hearing Wanda's assumption of either feelings for one another made Eszter want to barf in her mouth.

     Eszter unbuckled the seatbelt and climbed out of the car, following Wanda toward the front door, but Eszter noticed something different with her sister. The strawberry-haired woman looks as beautiful as ever, and her hair was pin straight across her back, eyes practically shining with sheer excitement, and her stomach fluttering with butterflies--or probably the baby, but Wanda doesn't know the difference. Eszter can see the glow practically shimmering on Wanda's skin, looking like a whole new person, but she supposes it's because the strawberry-haired woman's belly had grown another size.

     "First of all, I don't have a crush on him, so shut it," Eszter's lips break into a grin, walking into the house after Wanda. "And second, is it just me, or did you get a bit bigger?"

     Wanda dips her chin down to her chest while holding the front of her hair out of her face as if they were curtains on a window, eyeing the growing bump barely hiding underneath the colorful dress. She furrows her brows with a confused tilt of the head, blinking before lifting her gaze onto Eszter.

     "Does look a little different," Wanda's voice trails like she was baffled with the growth of her child. "But good thing we've got a doctor's appointment bright and early. Vision's a little . . . what's the word?"

     "Panicked? Scared? Confused?"

     Eszter tried to be a little playful at the memory of Vision freaking out after discovering Wanda's abrupt pregnancy. Though he managed to celebrate calmly, he wasn't calm the following day. All morning, Eszter woke up to the sound of Vision's loud pacing and his concerns regarding Wanda's pregnancy and needed to know exactly what stage she was in. Her baby bump was quite prominent last night, and it had taken everyone off-guard, but neither of them knew how far along Wanda was. And clearly, not even a talking robot was able to determine the timing of the pregnancy.